New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Please, enough with "Vista looks just like OSX"!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Ok, I tihnk I just read the 1,00th comment from someone claiming Vista looks just like OSX and it's a total ripoff. Can someone please point out the similarities, because I'm just not seeing it!:radioacti

It's actually funny, I'll see 20 comments claiming Vista ripped off OSX appearance, then I'll read 20 comments about how Vista is so ugly!
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Ok, I tihnk I just read the 1,00th comment from someone claiming Vista looks just like OSX and it's a total ripoff. Can someone please point out the similarities, because I'm just not seeing it!:radioacti

It's actually funny, I'll see 20 comments claiming Vista ripped off OSX appearance, then I'll read 20 comments about how Vista is so ugly!
trying to stir th pot a bit?

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

I'm on a work trip at Microsoft's HQ; one of 2 of our companies' employees to show up with Macbook Pros. The desktop gadgets (I forget their name) are very reminiscent of Dashboard, the search is similar to Spotlight, the calendar is similar to Macss as well.

However, to me the similarities end there. I went "under the hood" on Vista and saw the same kludgy registry. Also, someone here running the release of Vista (he's a MS partner, so he gets the real release early) showed us how he could insert his EVDO card into his Dell laptop and count to about 5- presto BSOD (blue screen of death); the only way out is to reboot. The MS rep said that was a hardware issue.

I think Vista is an upgrade perhaps worth it for some, but uncompelling on a large scale. Very little innovation here, people- move on.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Quote:
trying to stir th pot a bit?
Well, I probably spend a little too much time online reading reviews, and I've just seen this so much I just had to rant. Sorry.

I know the guys who throw that crap out there are mostly immature fanboys who think they have to attack everything and mark their territory like some kind of animal. I used to reply to them, but gave up a long time ago. Most things they claim Windows is stealing from Apple are features that were developed by other companies long before being integrated into any OS.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

It doesn't look exactly like OS X obviously, but it does have some close similarities.

See any resemblance to spotlight? I sure do.

"Side Bar & Gadgets" Seems awfully similar to the dock and widgets.

OS X has Aqua

Vista uses "Aero"

Not trying to fan a flame here or even bag on Vista, just showing a couple of hings that seem quite similar to OS X to me.

:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
xtophercaa

xtophercaa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)

I'm with fleurya. I don't see the similarities as much. They're in there, but I think if anything maybe Microsoft's user experience/design has matured a little. They've certainly gone all "Web 2.0." with the rounded edges and drop shadows and clear fonts. Meh.

One of my favorite quotes is "Talent imitates. Genius steals." I wonder which is at work here.

Chris Ainsworth
Personal Blog
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Let's see....

Gadgets look like widgets....not at all like widgets that look like Konfabulator widgets huh?

Search looks like spotlight...let's be honest, how many ways can you make a search box look different?

The "Dock" was not unique to OS X either.

Of course there will be similarities because there's only so many ways to do things. If stealing and imitation is all bad, then you shouldn't be using a Mac because Apple is just as good at it as the rest of them.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

If anyone here knew their PC history, they would be hard pressed to claim that Apple imitates. Apple invented the personal computer, and later bought the GUI from Xerox, with the mouse and all. And until recently Apple has even had success doing things entirely different. But just to silence those neigh sayers, and MS fanboys, Apple has been working on universality. In order to illuminate all the false rumors, that the MS community and longtime windows users perpetuate without really knowing, because they don't know, and haven't used.

Fact of the matter is, it's the same thing MS has always done, they just haven't been this blatant since about the late '80s. Now MS is plugging away at copying winning features, and pushing out more proprietarily incompatible Office software just like they used to.

They aren't just copying Aqua, they are copying Sun Microsystems "Project Looking Glass" as well.

As a matter of fact there are lots of ways they could be doing GUI. And they are choosing to closely mimic Apple and Sun. And the "Dock" and many other OSX features are carried over from NeXT, and BeOS. Which is the company Steve Jobs started while he wasn't at Apple, and then when he was asked to come back to Apple, Apple absorbed NeXT. That is where OSX came from. That is why scripts in Apple still cary the NS beginning. NeXT Step.

And just to add, allot of Win '95, '98, 'ME, GUI features were drawn from BeOS.

But like I said, if they had any imagination they could find millions of other ways to do GUI. They choose to compete with Apple, the only other real competition.

I don't really see how you can't see the precise similarities in the GUI. Yah, they updated it, it looks like the competitions now.
QUOTE Thanks
hotskate

hotskate has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15 Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD

Ice cream Well put!! I concur
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Just to clarify, Steve did NOT own Be, it was owned (and founded) by John Luc Gasse, the guy who stepped in as the design guru at Apple when Jobs was fired. Apple nearly bought Be, but Jobs (coupled with Gasse's stupidity) convinced them otherwise, despite the fact that Be was a better and more mature OS than Next Step ever was.

As far as imitation goes, while Apple did bring the GUI to market first, they certainly got lot of guidance from the Xerox PARC crew. Apple did pay Xerox for the use of the GUI concept, and did heavily modify and advance the concept past what PARC had done, but they by no means invented it.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Widgets - Konfabulator

Spotlight - however many desktop search engines were made (ex. Google)

Sidebar - Windows already had, it just didn't look as good before and wasn't popular. I'm the only person I know who uses it.

Dock - I've been launching apps from shortcuts embedded in Windows Taskbar for a long time. Most people don't know how to put them there.

Aero - how the heck does it look anything like OSX??? Other than being a little more smoother and rounder, which everyone is and has been developing.

Quote:
Apple invented the personal computer, and later bought the GUI from Xerox, with the mouse and all.
Uh, no they didn't But Jobs did the next best thing by snatching away most of the PARC crew. If Apple aquired the Xerox GUI and its rights, they probably would have won their lawsuit against Microsoft, but since they didn't there was no difference between what MS did and what Apple did, which is why they lost.

Quote:
they could find millions of other ways to do GUI. They choose to compete with Apple, the only other real competition.

I don't really see how you can't see the precise similarities in the GUI. Yah, they updated it, it looks like the competitions now.
Again, show me some visual comparisons and I'll condier it.

Anyway, I didn't really mean to start a debate mroe than just rant about stupid fanboys who give the general population of Mac users a bad name. I hope I didn't come off as some kind of fanboy myself as I am fully mature and intelligent enough to understand and appreciate the similarities and differences between things.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Uh, no they didn't But Jobs did the next best thing by snatching away most of the PARC crew. If Apple aquired the Xerox GUI and its rights, they probably would have won their lawsuit against Microsoft, but since they didn't there was no difference between what MS did and what Apple did, which is why they lost.

Apple DID settle with Xerox for cash and stock, the case never went to trial. As for the programers, Xerox wasn't doing anything with them or their ideas and all jumped ship willingly.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

I didn't mean to say that Jobs kidnapped them or anything. More that he "aquired" the talent he needed to make his product. It was a good strategic move really. Companies do it all the time.

Oh, and I thought the comment about deleting emails was kind of funny. The 2 major corporations I've worked for had similar rules; to keep emails from years and years piling up for no reason sucking up storage space.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

The usually linked video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n74mktpenx8
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
If anyone here knew their PC history, they would be hard pressed to claim that Apple imitates.
Most of what you said is incorrect, and obviously you must not realize Apple's history of either stealing ideas from independent Mac programmers to build into OSX? Do a Google search, your eyes will be opened.

I love Apple, but I'm not going to sit there and pretend they're innocent because they're not. Nor am I going to bash MS for the sake of doing as some here would do.

Claiming MS stole the Vista interface from Apple is like me saying Apple stole PowerPoint from MS and named it Keynote. All the same logic applies. OMG, Keynote has slides and so does PP...OMG, Keynote has a close button and so does PP!!!! Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?

Also, it might be helpful to do a search on "Apple Lawsuits" to see a good list of companies that have sued Apple for "borrowing" technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Apple DID settle with Xerox for cash and stock, the case never went to trial. As for the programers, Xerox wasn't doing anything with them or their ideas and all jumped ship willingly.
My main point would be that Apple did not "acquire" the GUI from Xerox willingly.

Apple did alot of technology "borrowing" in the early days and continues it now. Let's not pretend otherwise.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Favorite music? | Favorite "new" band from England »