New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

virus software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

morti00

morti00 is on a distinguished road

another noob question, but I've just got my macbook and have already started using the internet on it, do I need to get any anti - virus software? or does it come equipped and surely no one would make viruses for macs anyway??

thanks for any advice..
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Well, at this time you are probably fairly safe as far as the mac is concerned, but if you are in a lan with pc's you could pick up a virus and pass it on to them. It's not that there aren't any for the mac, but they are rare and you usually would have to help them along by giving permission for them to actually do anything to the mac.

As more and more start using a mac, then the chances are greater that someone will go to the bother of writing virus for them, but at this time the only real danger is passing a virus on to a pc. Mostly just use a little common sense and don't give permission for things to pop up and ask for your password to do things without thinking it over first.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
morti00

morti00 is on a distinguished road

Cheers James, very helpful.. and means I dont have to do anything, so its a win, win situation!!!
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

There are no eminent virus threats for OS X at the moment. However it a good practice to activate the built-in firewall and use an antivirus software if possible. Here are some of the well know Apps.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by morti00 View Post
another noob question, but I've just got my macbook and have already started using the internet on it, do I need to get any anti - virus software? or does it come equipped and surely no one would make viruses for macs anyway??

thanks for any advice..
Do a search on "virus" or "virus software" there are tons of topics that already cover your question..

long story short, there is no need for virus software because there are none out there for mac. mac has a built-in firewall on the OS.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard coupon? | Watched any 1080p on a Mac? »