New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Lojack for your Mac, Laptop Security.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I did a search and was surprised to see this topic hadn't come up yet. I've heard about this service before and found a website that offers the service for $49.99 per year.

I suppose having everything backed up and some kind of insurance would be fine, but with all the sensitive info on my computer, would just rather not let someone walk away with it if stolen. Of course there would always be the wierd feeling like "big brother" knows where you are.

Anyone use a service like this or decided not to for some reason? What kind of security do you use in case your laptop/desktop is stolen??
QUOTE Thanks
swifty

swifty is on a distinguished road

for very sensitive information, have a mounted encrypted folder (covered in this month's macworld)

then if it's stolen, your data is still safe.

12" ibook G4 1.33ghz - 1GB ram - 40gb hdd
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/recovery.html

That service does a great job (I know two people on my campus who have been able to recover their laptops this way) and is a onetime fee

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Quote:
http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/recovery.html

That service does a great job (I know two people on my campus who have been able to recover their laptops this way) and is a onetime fee
Sounds nice, but I wonder if they would be as effective for an American client. I wonder if the iSight light comes on when it takes a pic of the thief? I think that would tip them off.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Its an american company.

Most thieves I would bet don't know that the light isn't supposed to be on

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Quote:
Its an american company.
Quote:
Contact us
Orbicule, Inc.
Berkenhoflaan 25
3001 Heverlee
Belgium - Europe
phone: +32 486 999036
e-mail: info@orbicule.com
Support: support@orbicule.com

Area map
??????
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Didn't notice that. I talked to their support in California when I purchased the wrong licensing key. The story they have posted is from NC and the two people i know are from the us

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto albums | Macheist Bundle »