New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Mac vs Dell for 3d/Game Design

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Okay, so basically, I'm going to be attending IADT for their course in Video Game Design/Development.. This is my passion, I love video games, more than I've ever been passionate about playing bass guitar..

My question is, I'm going to need an uber-fast machine to do the 3d rendering and all that jazz to go along with it.

So.. I love Macs, and I love my TiBook, but my debate is, should I go with Windows or Mac OS X for 3D Design?

I don't have too many specifics on the course, other than it covers C++ Programming, Java, 3D Studio Max, etc.

I'm debating on getting a fully loaded Dell XPS m1710 laptop, C2D @ 2.0 ghz, 2gb ram, 512mb FX7960 GTX, 120gb hdd, WinXP MCE, and all the little bells and whistles to go with it.

My second choice, as I love Macs, is a 17" MacBook Pro C2D @ 2.33ghz, 2gb ram, X1600 256mb, 160gb hdd, etc, etc, etc...

They'll both be running in the same neighbourhood for cost (~3500-4000 CDN), cost is not a factor.

I'm having trouble deciding which one I want to sink the money into. Any thoughts/oppinions would be appreciated. I use WinXP and Mac OS X on a regular basis (Windows mainly for gaming, and because it is faster than either of my Macs).

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cakey

cakey is on a distinguished road

For 3D rendering I wouldnt get any notebook. Mac Pro or high end PC are the best options IMO.

QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice

I would go with a desktop system, however, the new job I'm starting in the new year requires me to travel a lot. So I want to be able to take it with me on the road and minimalize my personal belongings.

Basically, it's an OS X vs. Windows debate regarding 3D Design/Game Design/Photoshop
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

This is one instance I'd suggest go for a high-end Windows desktop.

If you doing C++ game programming you'd be silly to go on the Mac route. Plus 3ds max is the industry leader for games and that's Windows only.

Go for a Dell XPS desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

You can always get Bootcamp on your MacBook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

osx 10.5 is rumored that it will be able to switch between osx and windows without restarting. If this is true macbook pro all the way.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

What I just thought about, and didn't realise this until today.. What if I ran 3DsMax under WinXP via Bootcamp? Would there be an performance difference compared to a "true" windows machine? Or does XP just recognize the hardware within the Macbook Pro as typical PC hardware?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I would find out that the school/course requires, then get whatever that dictates.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x0r View Post
What I just thought about, and didn't realise this until today.. What if I ran 3DsMax under WinXP via Bootcamp? Would there be an performance difference compared to a "true" windows machine? Or does XP just recognize the hardware within the Macbook Pro as typical PC hardware?
It would perform exactly like a PC of the same specs...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Leopard features | Very funny ad »