New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Who's geekier; Mac or Windows users??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

This is in general, of course, so you can tihnk of Mac people and not include your cool-self.

No disrespect, but I tend to think it's the Mac crowd. Mostly because Windows is, not necessarily for, but adopted by the masses; geeky or not. Whereas Macs seem to be "discovered" by more intelligent people who realize it for it's benefits.

Which is kind of ironic since Macs are considered more user-firendly and easy to operate!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Both! I am serious. Seen geeks on both sides of the fence.

So many of the windows XP users I work with are so bad they basically open the door and invite SpyWare and Virus's in! More $$$ for me I guess but still it amazes me how careless some are and of course they blame it all on Bill Gates when really it's mostly their fault! Geeks are on all sides of the fence.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

in sheer number - windows (due mainly to proliferation).

in proportion - not sure, it's probably close, and perhaps geeky in different ways. i think the windows geeks are more typically "computer geeks" into overclocking and liquid cooling and such. i'd guess more mac geeks are different kinds of geeks (tech, music, art, theatre, etc).
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

Cool kids run OS X
QUOTE Thanks
R1 Lod

R1 Lod is an unknown at this point

I think the "I'm a Mac...I'm a PC..." commercials say it all. Window users are "geeky" and mac users do cool things like photos, movies, music, blogging, etc. As opposed to charts, presentations, etc. Although we all know we can do those things too if forced to.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

The real geek OS is GNU/Linux or perhaps even just Unix. I honestly think Macs attract people who just want to get thing done, low maintenance, whereas Windows occasionally needs a little bit more fiddling, which some people like.

OS X is like that sealed German V6 engine. It just looks after itself, with the odd update from the garage. Windows is like an old 1970's flat 6, that you can take apart and get your hands mucky. I guess that means GNU/Linux is like that rusty gearbox you left in the yard...

...just kidding - I enjoyed my time on SuSE and Ubuntu... mostly... :black:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
middigit

middigit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz

windows pc and mac users i would say are both geeks alike - only we mac geks are cooler, our kit looks more stylish
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the negative feedback on my post in this thread, with the narrative 'junk'. Shame you didn't actually have any feedback to give.

If it was because of the Linux jab, you're picking on the wrong person. I have used GNU/Linux for over ten years - where's your sense of humour? Geek.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
middigit

middigit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz

if that was aimed at me zoolook, then i wast even referring to your post, just responding to thread title - don't be so jumpy, lighten up
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Zooloock, nice analogy and nicely said on both comments. You can definitely equate Windows machines as being for the "tuners and tweakers" but in my expereince around those people, they're not very geeky at all.

Now let me rephrase the original question: Who is generally smarter; Mac or Win users?

Of course this all has to be porportional since the number of user variance is so wide.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by middigit View Post
if that was aimed at me zoolook, then i wast even referring to your post, just responding to thread title - don't be so jumpy, lighten up
It was aimed at the person who left me feedback on my profile - which I think was quite clear

Quote:
Thanks for the negative feedback on my post in this thread, with the narrative 'junk'.
It wasn't aimed at you - can I lighten up now and stop being jumpy? :bushman:

BTW, how's Sunderland? It's been 14 years since I was there!

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Zooloock, nice analogy and nicely said on both comments. You can definitely equate Windows machines as being for the "tuners and tweakers" but in my expereince around those people, they're not very geeky at all.

Now let me rephrase the original question: Who is generally smarter; Mac or Win users?

Of course this all has to be porportional since the number of user variance is so wide.
In my experience there isn't much a of a difference between the two groups-- probably a standard distribution of each group that would reflect the same characteristics as the population as a whole. In other words, I'd say both are pretty much equal.

And if anyone thinks that one group is smarter/more creative/cooler than the other, just realize, that while a statistic about a particular group can be valid, just because you are part of that group doesn't mean that you necessarily possess those characteristics. So if Mac users are smarter and more creative on the average, it doesn't mean that you are.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Well said, Dan. Good thing I know that I'm smarter/more creative/cooler.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

This could go either way. Worlds of Warcraft has been released for both...

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 27" 5k imac i7, 295x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
This could go either way. Worlds of Warcraft has been released for both...
^lol.

like most people are saying, its a different kind of geekyness)i don't think thats a word). PC geeks are like erkle, with the shirt tucked in, the pants bulled all the way up to your belly button, and wearing coke bottle glasses playing Dungeons and dragons and runescape. and mac users are more the artistic people who edit videos and have trillions of photos. So pretty much what the mac commercials show.

I consider my self a computer nerd, i absolutly love computers, and i use my Mac all the time. but i don't play the "nerdy" games like runescap, and WoW. and i don't do the stuff most people would classify as "Nerdy" or "geeky"

I think both PC and Mac users are geeks, but in different ways. No one group is more nerdy or geeky then the other.

whew, that was alot of typing. i don't even understand what i wrote, so ya :ninja:

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dell TV's | New Macbook Pro! »