New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Just got an LCD TV....=\

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

Well I just bought my mother an samsung LCD tv for an early x-mas gift. The set up was a breeze. From what I have noticed so far the picture is not as good as her 10yo CRT TV. Whats that about?

The only reason that comes to my mind is that we don't have digital cable or a cable box in that room. We just have standard cable. Does this make sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

yes that does make sense, if the line is bad the lcd will show it more then another tv will because its expecting a really good signal and has a higher definition so it will look fuzzier on a bad cable line then an old crt.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

yes since you dont have digital cable the picture wont look as good as a crt but everything else will look better
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

Wow. Thanks for the fast reply. I hope you are right I would be dissapointed if that isnt the case.

I suppose I will be calling the cable company in the morning.

have some rep

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

take the tv down to where there is digital cable (the other room you talk about) and see if the picture is what you are expecting (it should be just like what it was in the store)

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
metaljim

metaljim is on a distinguished road

i don't know too much about lcd tv's, but everyone i have ever seen sucked. my inlaws have them in every room with digi cable, and the picture quality is no where near as good as our crt flat screen. dvd's look better, but still not as good. i guess HD looks better, but it's still not worth it in my book.

crt>lcd
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You may also, need to calibrate the television. I have two Sharp LCDs. The person that set them up for me, told me the ones in stores are not calibrated.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You need HD cable or satellite to really take advantage of an LCD/Plasma TV, otherwise the picture looks bad.

Most places that sell them now have big signs up all around them that say this and they often have big stickers on the box telling you that you need HD TV.

I have Sony Bravia and it did look poor during the time I was waiting to get my HD cable. Now the HD channels look amazing, digital ones look ok and the regular channels still look like garbage on it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I just connect and old vcr to mine and I see what you mean. Looks like I will have to replace a few video tapes.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
hclincha

hclincha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17", Intel Core Duo

I don't think my image looks crappy on normal cable, but YMMV. Might have something with NTSC versus PAL. I don't know. But either way, it pays off for us. It saves about a square metre in our flat, which costs much more than the premium for an LCD-TV. And even if the image were much inferior, it'd still be worth it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Top 10: TV shows | Xmas: 20" Apple LCD or 360 HD-DVD player? »