New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Hd-dvd Vs. Blu-ray

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

I think HD-DVD is better how about everyone else?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

It depends what you need it for and what you mean by 'better'.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
It depends what you need it for and what you mean by 'better'.
i mean what side are you on like the mac pc arguement. some people like both pc an mac and some people just like one. i guess im just sayin which are you a fanboy for
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I don't think you have to be a fanyboy to prefer either format. I think trying to create an argument over this is almost as immature as drudging up the worthless PC vs Mac debate.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I don't think you have to be a fanyboy to prefer either format. I think trying to create an argument over this is almost as immature as drudging up the worthless PC vs Mac debate.
yeah i see where your comming from but people have been doing the xbox vs ps2 thing for a while but hey thats them i mean you can delete this thread if you wanna
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to delete it, there's nothing against the rules in doing it. I'm just pointing out that this is pointless.

I'm not really sure the what the point is of creating an artificial flame war and calling people "fanboys". It's not like the point of the thread is to actually educate people or change anyone's mind. It's just to argue with half-truths and emotional opinions.

Exactly like the PC vs Mac debate.

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Quote:
I'm not going to delete it, there's nothing against the rules in doing it. I'm just pointing out that this is pointless.

I'm not really sure the what the point is of creating an artificial flame war and calling people "fanboys". It's not like the point of the thread is to actually educate people or change anyone's mind. It's just to argue with half-truths and emotional opinions.

Exactly like the PC vs Mac debate.
is it possible for me to delete it? sorry im kinda a noob to this
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Whats the difference? Only thing I have noticed is that local stores seem to have more HD-DVD titles.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
Whats the difference? Only thing I have noticed is that local stores seem to have more HD-DVD titles.
the real difference is that hd-dvd is alotttt cheaper but holds a little but less than blu-ray
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacmatt09 View Post
i mean what side are you on like the mac pc arguement. some people like both pc an mac and some people just like one. i guess im just sayin which are you a fanboy for
If someone asked me if they should get a PC or a Mac, I'd ask them what they needed the computer for. If they said gaming and home finance, I'd say get a Windows PC... if they said web design, music production and publishing I'd say get a Mac (I would have said that well before I even got one myself).

The whole HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray is as much political as it is technical, in terms of which might succeed and which might fail.

Technically, the Blu-Ray format is superior in almost every way. It is faster (like for like) stores more data, per layer and has more companies supporting it. Indeed, it certainly has a lot more potential than HD-DVD in the long run. An 8-layer Blu-Ray drive in an MacBook in 2 years time will be able to back up 200GBs of your data on one disc, which could certainly be useful.

In terms of movie content, again Blu-Ray on paper has the edge. It can store more content and if the studios adpot a modern codec (dropping MPEG 2) then you'll get hull 1080p HD movies, extras and 7.1 HD sound on every film on a single disc. No 2 or 3 disc versions of films (like you get on DVD).

Having said that, HD-DVD has two great advantages. It's far cheaper ($300 for a standalone player vs $1,000 for a Blu-Ray player) plus all films on HD-DVD are already using the VC-1 codec which means a better image quality than the MPEG2 on Blu-Ray.

There is trouble ahead though. Current HD-DVD players have no region coding and even worse don't follow AACS guidelines, which may mean HD-DVD players bought now, won't play future films (including the Xbox360 ad-on) in true HD (they will be restricted to an analogue output or may not play at all).

Which is best? As a consumer device, HD-DVD has the edge. It's affordable, the early films look better (although the latest Blu-Ray movies have improved) and it has the letters HD and DVD in it, which consumers will understand more than the enigmatic 'Blu-Ray'. However, Blu-Ray has more support, more studios (all the majors apart from Universal) and more hardware manufactuers behind it. If dual layer discs become economically viable in the next 12 months, it'll be a serious challenger.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
INNOVA

INNOVA is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2ghz Core 2 Duo Imac 1GB ram Superdrive

+1 for HD-DVD

Core 2 Duo Imac
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

Bonzaisushi is on a distinguished road

Blu-ray is backed, by 100% more companies than hd-dvd. blu-ray can hold up to 200 gigs, and that will be viable within the next 2 years. they have already put 150 gigs on a blu-ray disk. if i had money to invest it would be in blu-ray. 50gigs, is alot more hq data, than a hd dvd.

:yinyang:
Mac Book Pro 17" 2 Gig Ram, 120 gig

Canon 1dMarkII // Canon 20D// Some Lenses
Bonzai Photography!Click me!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVA View Post
+1 for HD-DVD
Why? It might be more helpful to give your opinion.

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Quote:
Why? It might be more helpful to give your opinion.
Im gonna guess that the price is lower and it is more avalible the the blu-ray drive but thats just a guess
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Well let's assume price is the same and availability was the same (which will be the case in the near future). Why would you choose HD-DVD over Blu-Ray?

Choosing a technology for a short-term reason over long-term viability is not really prudent.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« seinfeld | Those cingular go phone commercials »