New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Gift for my girlfriend

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

teknikz613

Alright im the proud new owner of the high end config Macbook and as a recent windows convert I absolutely LOVE my Macbook and Mac OSX. I want to share this newfound joy with my girlfriend. However were both students and hence my budget is limited and I dont want her to feel she has to spend 1000$+ on me. So im looking for a budget mac system 500-700 CAD\USD Please specify which currency your referring too.

Now my question , whats the best system config to get her. Shes non technical she just browses the web and listens to music stores pictures etc. preferbly be a laptop however its not absolutely neccesary , I want it too be fast enough for her to handle avg day to day tasks

She has a 1.8celeron right now 512 dvdrw all that jazz and that suits her fine
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Being Devil's Advocate:

Just because you enjoy your Mac so much, there is no garauntee that she will feel the same as you do.

Plus, if she already has a computer and her needs don't seem to warrant a new system.
Quote:
She has a 1.8celeron right now 512 dvdrw all that jazz and that suits her fine
Also, even $500 is a huge sum of money if you are on a limited budget.

If you really want to introduce her to Apple, and want to spend a little more than usual, an iPod would be a great gift.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post

If you really want to introduce her to Apple, and want to spend a little more than usual, an iPod would be a great gift.

:black:
The iPod never fails to be a great gift, get it personalized for her, she'll love it.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
teknikz613

Thanks for the ideas guys its certainly easier on the wallet
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Then if you get her an iPod you can let her use your Mac to manage the songs. If she then like it maybe you can get her a Mac for next xmas or her birthday??
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Some unsolicited advice from someone who's been around the block a few times:

Unless she's a technophile, always stay away from gifts of gadgetry.

I've heard many, many stories of girlfriends (and ex-girlfriends) of techno-guys who were disappointed on birthdays and holidays when they opened a gift that could be bought at Fry's or Best Buy.

My advice: jewelry. You could do really well for the price of an iPod, and trust me-- you'll earn a lot of points. You don't have to go to Zales or Swarovsky; there's nice, reasonably priced, perfectly beautiful stuff at department stores like Macy's. Find out what her tastes are and buy her a gift that matches what she likes.

If you want to introduce her to the Mac, let her use your awesome MacBook.

(Edit: I just read this to my fiancee, a self-professed techno-geek-chick-- and the one who introduced me to Macs-- and her response was a resounding "YES!")
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post
Some unsolicited advice from someone who's been around the block a few times:

Unless she's a technophile, always stay away from gifts of gadgetry.

I've heard many, many stories of girlfriends (and ex-girlfriends) of techno-guys who were disappointed on birthdays and holidays when they opened a gift that could be bought at Fry's or Best Buy.

My advice: jewelry. You could do really well for the price of an iPod, and trust me-- you'll earn a lot of points. You don't have to go to Zales or Swarovsky; there's nice, reasonably priced, perfectly beautiful stuff at department stores like Macy's. Find out what her tastes are and buy her a gift that matches what she likes.

If you want to introduce her to the Mac, let her use your awesome MacBook.

(Edit: I just read this to my fiancee, a self-professed techno-geek-chick-- and the one who introduced me to Macs-- and her response was a resounding "YES!")
I wouldn't mind receiving a gift from fry's or best buy

My boyfriend and I are opposites. I'm a computer person, he is not:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netty4mac View Post

So you're a girl who's a geek AND loves VW.. Lucky guy
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netty4mac View Post

So then you should buy *him* a really cool watch or something. :-)

The point is that non-techie people won't fully appreciate techie gifts, especially if they already have something (in the case of teknik's gf) that suits their needs. Plus, it's always better to go for the more personal gift.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I got my girlfriend an iPod Nano with her name engraved on the back, wrapped in Apple's Christmas packaging (nice!). I then carefully opened it when it got here and loaded about 1.5Gb of her favorite music onto it. Then I carefully repackaged it...after playing with it for a while.

Check the refurb store if you're a cheapass like me.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aide/tripwire Gui? | lime limewire icon?! »