New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Where does OSX go from here?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

roger31

roger31 is on a distinguished road

I was reading an article on Mac history. Around the time of Mac OS 7 Apple started working on the new Mac OS which was called Copeland. It was going to add multitasking, memory pretection, etc, etc, to the Mac OS.

It turns out they had all sorts of problems and the project was dealyed over and over. Then Windows 95 came out - it was pretty Mac like and offered most of the features that Apple said copland would have. Many Mac users started considering Windows for the first time.

Apple was desperate and at one point even consderd buying Windows NT or Solaris and making it look Mac like - rather than create their own new operating system. As we all know they finally settled on what is now OS X.

I see history repeating itself. Windows Vista is adding many OS X features to be equal to OS X and it has few neat ideas of its own *AND* MS is alreay working on their next operating system.

So where does OS X go from here? Just keep adding new features or improvements? Or is there a possiblity of a quatum leap like the orginal Mac OS was.... maybe a new complete new OS, [like BeOS] that is made to handle video and audio, and isn't just a desktop concept for office work?

A few things I would like to see in the next OS X: multiple desktops, the ability to run each program in its own screen resolution [like the Amiga], a built in ability to view most MS Office docs.

And how about a replacement for the desktop concept finder? Maybe you would mouse over a "digital town" instead of the desktop...you would go the the civic/concert center for all Audio and Video files, and all realted programs would be there, so would all audio settings, and you would have a Offcie center, all office programs, documents and office settings would be there... this seems better than having audio files in one folder, an auido program elsewhere, and settings in another place. Oh, and each "place" could have its own screen resolution also.

Other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger31 View Post
Apple was desperate and at one point even consderd buying Windows NT or Solaris and making it look Mac like - rather than create their own new operating system. As we all know they finally settled on what is now OS X.
Essentially that's what they did. The bought NeXT and turned it into OS X (and also brought Steven Jobs back to Apple).

Quote:
A few things I would like to see in the next OS X: multiple desktops,
That's coming in Leopard

Quote:
a built in ability to view most MS Office docs.
That's more up to MS making their document spec completely transparent.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
roger31

It is funny, in the early 90s Apple almost bought out another OS that was Unix based but dropped the idea at the last minute.

So OS X is getting multiple desktops? Cool. and I am surprised Vista didn't add multiple desktops to Windows... probably didn't know what Apple was going to do...
QUOTE Thanks
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis is a jewel in the roughSgt Beavis is a jewel in the rough

It should be noted that while MS is already working on their next OS (codename Vienna), they have been working on it since 2001 when it was originally called Blackcomb. Vienna/Blackcomb is a 100% total rewrite of the WindowsOS from the ground up. It isn't NT7, it is totally different. Because of delay after delay after delay Blackcomb was sidetracked and Longhorn was created so MS could bring something to market in a reasonable amount of time. Of course reasonable was supposed to have been 2004, not late 2006.

Vienna still won't be ready until after 2010. Microsoft has left a huge opening by offering Vista. Leopard has a feature set that is going to put the screws to MS on the desktop. TimeMachine alone gives Leopard a big advantage over Vista.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

For the new features of Leopard, look here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

The virtual desktops are handled by Spaces, although I have them on Tiger using DesktopManager. As for MS Office docs, I have OpenOffice and NeoOffice is coming along nicely
QUOTE Thanks
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis is a jewel in the roughSgt Beavis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam View Post

The virtual desktops are handled by Spaces, although I have them on Tiger using DesktopManager. As for MS Office docs, I have OpenOffice and NeoOffice is coming along nicely
Yes, and MS is moving to an XML format that can be used by OpenOffice and other office apps. Several governments are forcing the issue saying they will no longer buy MSOffice if it isn't offered with an open format.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam View Post

Some great features. Anyone know if Leopard will run on a G4 PowerMac?
QUOTE Thanks
Jammers

Jammers is on a distinguished road

Yes it will. Leopard will support all Power PC machiens running a G4 or G5 processor. G3 processors are no longer supported.
QUOTE Thanks
roger31

Sgt: Yeah, what became Vista was just going to be a small revision until whitecomb or longhorn or whateve came later with major changes.

What is timemachine?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html

Instant seamless backups and versioning.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger31 View Post
It is funny, in the early 90s Apple almost bought out another OS that was Unix based but dropped the idea at the last minute.
Are you referring to Be? That was the other option instead of NeXT. Be was actually cheaper and probably a much better system (those that ever used Be will agree with me here) than NeXT, but Gasse overplayed his hand and lost. Apple paid more for NeXT and Jobs than the highest asking price for Be.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Are you referring to Be? That was the other option instead of NeXT. Be was actually cheaper and probably a much better system (those that ever used Be will agree with me here) than NeXT, but Gasse overplayed his hand and lost. Apple paid more for NeXT and Jobs than the highest asking price for Be.
I agree, Be was an awesome system. I still have a Be t-shirt around here somewhere. I ran it exclusively for awhile on my machine, I think starting with 4.0.

While NeXT may not have been as good and way overpriced, in the end I think it was the best move just because of the Steve Jobs Factor™. I think Apple's success is due more to Steve than to OS X itself. It's his personality and drive for perfection that makes Apple what it is.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I agree, Be was an awesome system. I still have a Be t-shirt around here somewhere. I ran it exclusively for awhile on my machine, I think starting with 4.0.

While NeXT may not have been as good and way overpriced, in the end I think it was the best move just because of the Steve Jobs Factor™. I think Apple's success is due more to Steve than to OS X itself. It's his personality and drive for perfection that makes Apple what it is.
Ya, I would have to agree with that. Apple can't really put a price on having a guy like Steve running the place.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Black Friday Sale. | WOW at comp USA »