New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Is leaving your computer on 24/7 bad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

relapse

relapse is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb

Since I got my iMac not too long ago, I haven't shut the darn thing off. I know booting up on Mac's is a breeze, but I just prefer to have it on all the time (partially because my landlord pays for my electricity!).

I was wondering if leaving my computer on all the time is bad for the hardware? My computer is properly ventilated. The monitor is also set to sleep. I haven't set the computer to sleep, because whenever I do I get kicked off Adium, which is irritating.

Any thoughts?

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I do exactly the same....it's quite ok to leave your mac running 24/7, just restart it at least once a month, that's all.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Yup, totally okay.. I leave most of my computers on all the time. Just reboot once in a while like Pulse-8 mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

My PowerMac has an uptime of 27 days.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Leaving MacBook on all the time?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

dolphin01 is on a distinguished road

I have an eMac and just put it to sleep. I never shut it down. The only time I do is if we leave for more than a couple of days. When I do shut it down. I lose my screen saver and I have to go into pref. and put it back up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PS3 in two days!!!! | Applecare shipping to APO address? »