Specs:
    17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
    Do I need to purchase a router?
    I'm really not good with networking related issues. I only have one desktop and one internet connection, and I only have one computer that I need to go on the internet.

I'm asking more from the standpoint of security. Aren't routers a good way of protecting your computer? I know that Macs are pretty secure as it is, but I just want to make sure that I take all the necessary precautions.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    Since you have just a single computer it may not be necessary to have a router. However having a router make it difficult for the hackers/intruders to attack your system. The modern routers also come with built-in firewall which gives an extra protection. If you are concerned about the security, you may consider buying a one.

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    I would go with the mac software firewall first.
    Since it isn't all that easy to hack Mac OS X, and since there haven't been any reports of a Mac being hacked illegally ever, a router might be a waste of money.

On the other hand, a router will definitely make it harder for a hacker, since it's a hardware wall between him and your computer.

It's really a hard decision. But IMHO, i think routers are only added luxury rather than necessity.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Thread Information