New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Buying in the USA

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Hi all,

First of all I am sorry if this has been posted before. I did search and couldn't find anything.

I am off to New York for a long weekend, leaving on 10th Nov back on the 14th. I currently live in London. I am thinking that while I am there I could pick up a new Apple Laptop, yet to decide which one.

What I would like to know is what I would have to do when I get it back to the UK?

I know that I would need a new power adaptor as it is a different plug socket. However the things that concern me are

1. If it went wrong is the warranty international or would I have trouble getting Apple UK to do anything.
2. Is the OS international? Can I tell te computer that I am in the UK and it would be OK or would I have to reinstall?
3. When I come into the UK and declare to customs that I have brought in something more valuable than the limit what do I get charged? VAT? Import duty? How much does this equate to?

Anything else that I need to know?

All help gratefully recieved.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You will have to pay the VAT and import duty which will make the cost almost more expensive so its not really worth it

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The British VAT laws (found here) dictate that you'll pay 17.5% on the fair market value of any item purchased outside the UK or other member states. If you buy a $2500 MacBookPro, you can expect to pay the Customs man just about another $450 just to get the unit into the country.

I am not a lawyer or travel agent or tax person, so my advice is to check out the HM Revenue and Customs website for definitive answers on taxes.

As for your warranty, here's the good news from Apple's web site:

Quote:
If the product is portable, meaning that it can operate independently without a power cord, you may obtain warranty service worldwide.
No idea what this costs, though.

The best news of all three is that OSX has a British option, so you're okay there. The only issue is that you'll have a US keyboard on any product you buy in the USA.

Enjoy your visit to NY!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

The Customs guy doesn't need to know about your purchase...

However, you might want to think about it. I bought a MacBook Black with a gig of RAM and 100GB HDD but used my UK credit card (as I have little US credit history). My credit card was debited 1019.70

Now looking at the Apple UK website, I could have got that for 1,159 including VAT. Sure, in NY you would not pay NY tax (around 8%) like I did, but the saving is not massive as many UK'ers believe. When you factor in buying a new adapter (actually the US one will be fine, you just need a new flex) and the risk of the warranty situation, it's barely worth it to save 150.

As to your other questions. OS X can be set up for any country and the keyboard on Apple Macs is the same in the US and UK (unlike PCs), so that is not an issue. Besides, it took me about 2 days to get used to the new layout, where the only significant difference in the '@' being on the "2" rather than next to the return key.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't wait for this to be released... | More people switching due to Vista? »