New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Surprised by comparison -- happy to have switched.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

asolo

asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

Been pleased with my 4 months with iMac. Was reminded afresh yesterday because a guest brought their new D*** 8600 laptop with them and we played side-by-side for a while. I had forgotten so many of the differences. Never going back. For what I (we, my guest and I) do, the iMac is vastly superior and much more fun.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

A typical experience I would say. For most people, once you dip your toes in the Mac pond, you never go back. Enjoy your Mac!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

Bonzaisushi is on a distinguished road

Its like going from a camaro to a ferrari. you never wanna drive that camaro after you play with a ferrari.

I switched back in july.... i will NEVER go back.

:yinyang:
Mac Book Pro 17" 2 Gig Ram, 120 gig

Canon 1dMarkII // Canon 20D// Some Lenses
Bonzai Photography!Click me!
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

i dunno a fine italian sports car vs raw american muscle, too different animals imho
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac View Post
i dunno a fine italian sports car vs raw american muscle, too different animals imho
Isn't that exactly what Apple and Windows are to completely different OS's doing similar things but each has there own "speciality"

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolo View Post
Been pleased with my 4 months with iMac. Was reminded afresh yesterday because a guest brought their new D*** 8600 laptop with them and we played side-by-side for a while. I had forgotten so many of the differences. Never going back. For what I (we, my guest and I) do, the iMac is vastly superior and much more fun.

So glad you stuck with the Mac. Knew you would love it after you got used to it.
QUOTE Thanks
sneeks

sneeks is on a distinguished road

After only on week I feel the same way
QUOTE Thanks
taylorwilsdon

taylorwilsdon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM

I disagree to a certain extent. I've held onto a PC laptop and both my desktop machines are PC's, but I do love my Macbook. However, I couldn't really see myself dumping the PCs - they do excel in places where Apple has yet to delve into (such as the SLI video cards in my primary desktop)
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

also a recent switcher (and new to this forum to boot)...

i just had a 17" HP laptop turn into a thousand dollar paperweight on me when it overheated it's video card.
while i have had years of decent experiences with wintel pcs and laptops, and i work in wintel server support, i kind of figured i didn't want to pay good money to have these kinds of experiences anymore. i also was intrigued by macs and was interested in learning about new hardware and software.

so one day at lunch after lamenting the demise of that huge laptop, i ran over to the apple store at the mall of america and picked up a shiny new white macbook (2.0Ghz/80G HD/1G ram).
i am very happy with my decision.

once i came to terms with the differences, and learned some of the basic ins and outs of the os and primary apps (and found a good replacement for itunes - yay audion! and the windows only forte agent) i was definitely feeling the joy!
though i do still kind of miss the sim gaming power of the 17" HP. simcity4 runs like molasses on the macbook, and tropico2 crashes periodically. and you can't find games like these on a ps2 or DS.

one problem i haven't solved yet... how do you open the apple menu from the keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
Kulokoy

Kulokoy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.

how do you open the apple menu from the keyboard?

you lost me here, why do you wanna do that? afaik, there is no apple menu. use Spotlight and tell it what you want.
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Try Quicksilver. I've got it programmed with a few kb shortcuts to open up a few menus. I'm not that cluey at using it, maybe someone else could give you a tip.

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Kulokoy, the apple menu...

you know, the menu that you access by clicking the apple icon on the top left of the screen...

i posted a proper thread on this in the switch forum and got a decent answer - though i haven't tested it yet, browsing from work now on a wxp pro laptop.

[edit]thanks cjay, i'll take a look![/edit]
QUOTE Thanks
Kulokoy

Kulokoy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.

oops,oic lol
got spoiled on xp hitting that windows logo key huh?
have fun with your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone know about school surplus purchasing?? | Do I need to purchase a router? »