New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Xbox 360 or PS3?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

evolve

evolve will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram

Ok guys I'm thinking of possibly picking up one of these systems but would like to hear some opinions. Out of the two gaming systems, which would you prefer? Which would you buy? Explain a little on way you chose the way you did. This will help not only me decide on a new gaming system, but help others decide too. Thanks in advance for your all your input. :black:

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I am going to get both, but if I could only get 1 I would go with the ps3 because its also going to be a blu-ray player, and the games are going to be on blu-ray discs, which means, more space available to the game developers to make better graphics and longer games.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

has anyone heard how much the PS3 is going to end up costing? rumors rumors rumors... the only prices i ever here is wayyyyyy more than id be willing to spend on a game system.

the price difference might be the deciding factor. anyone heard?
QUOTE Thanks
evolve

evolve will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram

I think about $600 for the PS3....so the rumors state...

QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

The price for the PS3 isn't a rumor. It's $499 for the base system and $599 for the premium system.

I already have a 360 and Sony has really ****** me off with the lies leading up to the release, so I have no need for a PS3 right now. I will be getting a Wii though.
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 27" 5k imac i7, 295x

the batteries in the ps3 controller are not even replaceable, so you have throw the controller out once the batteries stop charging

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

The 360 is available now and is pretty fun, plus has a lot of media center capabilities. From what I have seen of the PS3, however, it looks like it has better graphics. There will also be a longer waiting period to get it due to the low initial run (100,000 is the first run I think). Then again, it seems like more and more titles are being released on the 360 - my brother is a big Playstation fan but recently picked up a 360 because he was tired of waiting and was happy to find out that many of the games he had wanted for PS3 were coming out for the 360 (MGS:4 for example). If you decide to get a 360, wait until they release the next version. I've heard it will have a smaller chip for better cooling, plus you can buy the HD-DVD bundle.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
I am going to get both, but if I could only get 1 I would go with the ps3 because its also going to be a blu-ray player, and the games are going to be on blu-ray discs, which means, more space available to the game developers to make better graphics and longer games.
The Blu-Ray Drive isn't the best choice for games, it has longer loading times than DVD. Also the problem with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is you don't know who is going to win the Format War.

If Blu-Ray Fails this will push up the price of the manufacturing of games on the Blu-Ray format as to put it simply Sony will be the only ones left making them.

So although Blu-Ray will be able to hold more and that will be great for the future there alot of if's and buts along the way that need to be settled. Also Games don't even fill up one DVD9 at the moment.

Elder Scrolls VI: Oblivion arguely one of the most detailed game to come out for any Console occupied 6.7Gb of a DVD9 disc. Also compression technology will also benefit the end user overtime and potentailly only ever see Blu-Ray and HD-DVD as Movie/Storage Formats only and never enter the game market.

I have an Xbox 360, I'm getting the Wii and I was going to get the PLaystation 3 but I can't justify buying a Console with a high price tag mainly due to the Blu-Ray Drive that may be obselite in even a couple of years. I just haven't got that kind of money to waste.

And Xbox 360 have so far for me provided the best solution, if you want HD-DVD then buy it, if you don't then don't. I just wish Playstation had done the same thing.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac
my brother is a big Playstation fan but recently picked up a 360 because he was tired of waiting and was happy to find out that many of the games he had wanted for PS3 were coming out for the 360 (MGS:4 for example).
MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman445
the batteries in the ps3 controller are not even replaceable, so you have throw the controller out once the batteries stop charging
The iPod's battery wasn't supposed to be user replaceable either, and yet there are plenty of places online to buy iPod batteries.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Halo 2 is the only gave I ever play on Xbox, so Xbox 360 + Halo 3 = Me happy.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D 04
The Blu-Ray Drive isn't the best choice for games, it has longer loading times than DVD. Also the problem with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is you don't know who is going to win the Format War.

If Blu-Ray Fails this will push up the price of the manufacturing of games on the Blu-Ray format as to put it simply Sony will be the only ones left making them.

So although Blu-Ray will be able to hold more and that will be great for the future there alot of if's and buts along the way that need to be settled. Also Games don't even fill up one DVD9 at the moment.
also, PS3 games will be very expensive. xbox360 games in Aus already go up to AU$120 (that's US$91) - paying more than that for a PS3 game is pretty hard to believe. Then there's the mostly disappointing launch title lineup for PS3. Recent screens I've seen of MGS4 show that it isn't looking crash-hot, with poor res textures and character models that would only be impressive for current gen consoles. I'm more looking forward to seeing Snake in Smash Bros. Brawl than seeing how things develop for MGS4.

Then there's the costs to produce the consoles. I read it may cost around $200 for each blu-ray drive, where microsoft spend something like $20 for a DVD drive. Furthermore, I think it would be something like 2 years before Sony begin to make any profits from the console itself. They're looking at pretty heavy losses for some time.

Finally, the fact they cut launch unit numbers by 3/4 for Japan and US isn't a good sign.

At this stage, I'm more likely to save up for a 360. The chance of Shenmue 3 being released on the console is very tempting for me, and there are a few other titles planned for release that interest me.

Overall though, Wii is top of my list. Solid lineup of launch titles, fantastic price and the Virtual Console looks very promising. Too bad the VC won't be region free... I don't see why people continue to overlook Nintendo though, since the Wii was the highlight for the duration of E3.

kaidomac: actually, I think the GPU (graphics processor unit) of the 360 is more powerful than that of the PS3 (something like 2 times as powerful.) However, the PS3's CPU is more powerful than the 360's. Not sure what this all means in the long run, as we've all seen numbers don't mean much until you see the machine in action.

If I were to get a PS3, it'll be in a couple of years time, when it should be more affordable, with some nice titles to choose from.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I stopped liking Sony after seeing the first couple batches of the PS2.. My nephew has personally gone through about 7 PS2 consoles because they just stop working, or won't read disks... I have the Xbox.. I have the Xbox 360.. It's an amazing system, great games, great graphics, and as mentioned before, HALO 3!!!
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownley1
kaidomac: actually, I think the GPU (graphics processor unit) of the 360 is more powerful than that of the PS3 (something like 2 times as powerful.) However, the PS3's CPU is more powerful than the 360's. Not sure what this all means in the long run, as we've all seen numbers don't mean much until you see the machine in action.
Yeah...all I know is that the graphic demos I've seen on the PS3 are better than what I've seen on the 360. They are both good though! I too am in the Wii fanclub...$250 is a much nicer price! I would like to get a 360 eventually; the word is that Microsoft will be releasing new, smaller 360 cpu chips that require less power and output less heat. Hopefully that will help with the overheating problem, plus they will probably start selling it with an HD-DVD bundle.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I'd get a PS3 for the following reasons.

- Playstation still has the most developers working on it and you get the Japanese top developers onboard (not so with Xbox)

- You get Blu-Ray movies (HD Movies). You don't with Xbox, although you can get the HD-DVD for about $180

- You get a HDD on either machine. The Core Xbox360 doesn't get you that

- You can get HDMI connection out of the box (although you need your own lead). Xbox connects by composite only, meaning a poorer quality image

- PS3 gives 1080 rendering on about 40% of its launch games. Xbox gives 720 (or lower) rendering on all current games and MS has no plans to make any 1080 games, despite announcing the machine can render and upscale to 1080

- PS3 will ship with Linux. Xbox360 will NEVER EVER ship with linux... although it may get hacked, it won't be supported by MS

As for the whole point of cost. A Core Xbox360 is barely worth having (which people compare to the lower end PS3). A Core Xbox gets no HDD, no wireless controller, no HDMI output. The "basic" PS3 gets wireless controller, a HDD, HD Movie capability and a HDMI connector. To add all those things to the core Xbox actually makes the price higher than on the PS3.

Quote:
That is not true.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm looking for the "get a mac" ad music... | GMail Account? »