New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Apple Service Provider

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adrianmoore

OK!
I know i have said this somewhere on a forum, So applos if this is a repeat.

BUT in the "US" you are able to BUY into becomming an AASP(Apple Authorised Service Provider).

Here in the UK however in hangs on "how much you sell", and if you are a 'small' outlet you do not stand a chance, which then in turn hurts the apple customer in as much as say for example :-

A customer's iMac Logic board dies (out of warranty) the local apple computer shop can not access the apple parts database as he is not an AASP, The customer would rather have a 'new' logic board and NOT a second hand one-- See the problem?

Another customers internal Battery went flat (in warrantly) he did not want to go all the way up to Bristol and askd me to put a battery in for him, No problem, But the battery was NOT apple approved, so that would void his warranty! And YES i could only get an Approved Apple battery from the Parts Database, Which means i have to be an AASP

Here in the South West of Devon the nearest AASP is Bristol about 90miles away (1.5 hours drive--One Way!!).

And the other thing is this....The Mark up we get as a reseller is about 20!!! (No Kidding!) i have phoned up apple Uk on this, and the "official reply was " We never said you were going to get rich selling our products!", But then this gives the smaller computer outlet less incentive 1) to sell the Apple Hardware and 2) Makes our price either NO different to Apples or sometimes a little higher.

I personally do not wish to sell 1000's of computers, BUT i DO want to support them, Pc world buys them in bulk and thefore gets a discount and therfore "Could" sell them cheaper, BUT they are Not AASP nor do most of them even understand an apple mac, and certainly would not be able to support them, BUT of course their buying POWER makes it even harder for the smaller Apple Computer shop to get even close to being AASP (I hope you are still with me here, i know i am rambling!)

So the point of this post is this :-
Should Apple review the way they "allow" Computer Shops to become AASP other than looking at How Much Computer Units they sell?
I feel that if apple would make an exam we could sit in order to become AASP would be one way forward.

Or What else do you think would be possible to get more smaller Apple Computer shops appointed as AASP's , a letter to apple? As many apple users emailing or posting to apple?

What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Well I know that it's in Apple's advantage that they just don't make anyone and everyone AASP. I mean anybody that wanted to get a cheaper mac would just apply for one and then buy a cheaper computer... so they would have to do a volume type deal. Other than that, I do not have enough experience in this area so I can't say much more
QUOTE Thanks
adrianmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Well I know that it's in Apple's advantage that they just don't make anyone and everyone AASP. I mean anybody that wanted to get a cheaper mac would just apply for one and then buy a cheaper computer... so they would have to do a volume type deal. Other than that, I do not have enough experience in this area so I can't say much more
If Apple were to review their stance perhaps, and "do away" with any discount for those who obtained AASP by simply passing an exam, At least then Apple would not lose profit, and benifit from more technicians that are qualified to work on an apple mac without messing it up.

The biggest problem at present in becomming AASP is the amout apple expects to see sold through a retailers shop, there are other requirements, like you must have TWO apple trained technicians, Each tech guy must have a Meter Square workarea (NOT ply-wood!), must have cental point where power can be cut-off, Most of these are obtainale for shops
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

the shop here in town doesnt sell much, and they are AASP. if they offered to pay more, id probably be working there.

QUOTE Thanks
adrianmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt
the shop here in town doesnt sell much, and they are AASP. if they offered to pay more, id probably be working there.
Hi
In the USA i understand that computer shops can actualy BUY into the AASP program for a couple 1000$'s, but here in the UK things are much harder to become AASP, and at present part of the deal is that you MUST sell a min of 100,000(or there about)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moses and Computers | Math »