New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Advice needed, trying to prove work done on a site/video!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

indykid

indykid is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram

Hi all,

I havn't posted here in a while, but as I know a lot of you are experienced creative industry workers I thought someone may be able to give me some advice in relation to a freelance job I did.

I am trying to extract late payment from a client for a web promo video I produced for an online shop. Foolishly, due to the last minute and rushed nature of this particular job I let the paperwork slide...(I know, I know...lesson already learned on this one!)

Until recently, because of the bad paperwork keeping, the only proof I had that the client had recieved the completed video was the website where it was being hosted/used...soon after I sent the client a payment reminder the website went offline - I thought I was screwed. BUT...it's now come back online and before I send in the collection agent etc, I want to get conclusive proof of the client using the video on the website. I'm looking for advice on the best way to do this. Should I cache the webpage? screen grab it or what? My fear is that they could just say I mocked up the screen grabs myself.

I know I've been foolish on this one, but I'm now in damage limitation mode! Any advice would be very gratefully accepted, cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I would definitely take a snapshot of the web-page and also have a trusted 3rd party do the same. (Ask a lawyer/doctor/teacher friend - they like that sort of thing in blighty).

Perhaps try to capture the video playing on the web site with something like Snapz Pro or make a low-fi video capture with a regular videocamera. (Your digital camera would probably be able to film it if you don't have a camcorder).

It's really hard to fake a video of a film playing in someone's browser on their computer screen.
QUOTE Thanks
indykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Perhaps try to capture the video playing on the web site with something like Snapz Pro or make a low-fi video capture with a regular videocamera. (Your digital camera would probably be able to film it if you don't have a camcorder).

It's really hard to fake a video of a film playing in someone's browser on their computer screen.
That's a wicked idea - Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of that before, I'll be doing that as soon as I get back tonight!
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

for web-page screenshots i recommend Paparazzi, a helpful app that will take a screenshot of the whole web-page at once
QUOTE Thanks
indykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstumpf
for web-page screenshots i recommend Paparazzi, a helpful app that will take a screenshot of the whole web-page at once
I like the look of this app, I'll definately use that in the future. Although in this case I think it will be more useful to evidence this job with conventional screen grabs so you can see it's a real site in a browser etc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's going on? | Changing HDD icon »