New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Mac's are more popular nowadays

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

todd51

This is what my friends said to me just a minute ago on MSN. He is an avid PC user and I don't think has ever touched a Mac. He told me he thinks it's only a couple of years until Mac's have a lot of viruses to worry about just like Windows. I told him I think they are just as popular as they were 7 years ago computer-wise. However the iPod is the lead-selling mp3 player on the market. He still seems to think that it's only a matter of a couple of years before Macs are just like PC's and they have viruses and spyware also. I just kept laughing at him. Does anyone agree with him? How do you feel about this situation?
QUOTE Thanks
lilfordbmx

lilfordbmx is an unknown at this point

seeing as on a mac to install anything.. you need a password.. this is very unlikely.

i think osx is going to stay a VERY stable os.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51
He still seems to think that it's only a matter of a couple of years before Macs are just like PC's and they have viruses and spyware also.
That is what hardcore and diehard Windows fanboys say to make themselves feel better about all the viruses and crapware that plague Windows. :black: :mac:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacWill

MacWill is an unknown at this point

Mac's will probably get some viruses in the future yet Windows will continue getting more/more/more viruses at a much faster/worse rate
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

scroll and click on "viruses"

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

all we can do is wait and see i guess.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
all we can do is wait and see i guess.
Yup. I have been waiting for 6 years since OS X was introduced. Still no viruses yet.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
todd51

How is it that sometime to install applications on my computer it never asks me for a password? Is it becuase I'm the admin account? I wish it asked me for a password, that way when I get up to college my roomates can't go and install stupid stuff on my computer, that is IF they know how to install stuff on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of

Lol its not Xp-Science (get it? rocket science... see what i did there? psssh nvm) to install on a mac... haha.. just leave your screen saver with password up when your not at your mac, thats what i do.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am wih DB and Graphite on this one. Wait and see but after all this time, I don't think it will be all as bad as some are saying. Sure there might be a virus here and there, but only time will tell that. I could say more but don't want to start a war.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

So far the worst thing OS X has is:

a) Leap-A worm
b) I read in MacWorld about a worm that turns ALL text into 1337 speak. (example: this sentence would read similar to this: 1 r34d 1n M4cW0r1d 4b0ut 4 w0rm th4t turns 411 txt 1nt0 1337 sp34k.) Not very harmful, but quite annoying.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Also, I don't think that people use macintoshes because they don't have viruses... people use macs for other reasons.
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
Also, I don't think that people use macintoshes because they don't have viruses... people use macs for other reasons.
Well, I'll disagree with that!

Major part of my personal decision had to do with leaving behind the virus/spyware/adware/trojan/ad-nauseum maintenance chores which were a regular part of my PC ownership. Everyone I know (many) with a PC carps about the same thing all the time. IMHO, it is a VERY big deal and a VERY big motivator among those considering switching.

OS X is superior, but still has to be learned. Absence of bugs is immediate.
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

I never got viruses on my pc.. i switched because i wanted something new..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I will just say this, I RARELY got any virus's on all my PC's because I know what I am doing (Brag Brag ) and the few I ever got, Anti Vir took care of. I like OSX and that is why I went mostly Mac. I would go all Mac, but as a PC Repair Tech I need to keep a windows machine around.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« anymore from WWDC? | Apple Site is updated now. »