New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

How do I turn this thing on?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ChangedSoul

Ok, heres the story. I got an IMAC G3 from my father inlaw. He said it was booting up but then shuting off in a few minutes. He gave it to me. I tried to turn it on and got nothing at all to happen. Not even a lit light on the front. I took it to an apple store and they got it to at least show a lit light on the front, but it still didnt boot. I bring it back home, and again I CANNOT even get it to show a lit light on the front.

I am new to Apple and I know the Mac has a problem, but I should at least begetting a lit light on the front. I Push the power button, push and hold the power button, Hold the power button during plugging it in and then Push the power button again. I dont know what I am doing wrong.

Is there some special way to turn these G3's on? Do I Just push and release the power button, or do I push and hold for a few secs and then release?

I read that its possible my father inlaw might have tried to install OS X without updating the firmware, and I am trying to fix this issue, but I cant even get it to look like its getting power. I have tried many power cords and outlets. Am I trying to turn this thing on right? I know I am a noob to apple, but I cant see Apple making the power on not normal to every other electronic device known to man.

Please help me with this.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

sounds like the computer is just plain broken to me...could be a firmware issue i'd ask the father inlaw about what he did to it and then delve into the ideas of a bad power supply, bad switch, bad power cord
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
ChangedSoul

See thats just it. When my Father inlaw had it, he was able to use it for a while and then it would shut off. When I got it, I wasnt even able to turn it on. Then I took it to an Apple store, and as far as I seen they just pluged it in like I did, and he was able to turn it on. I got it back home and I could not get it to come on. So I dont know if Im just plain stupid and dont know how to power it up or what.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Don't forget to make sure that the outlet (well actually I would hope that he's using a surge protector of some sort) is working.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Like Karudzo suggested try another outlet. The one you may be trying to use could be bad.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
ChangedSoul

I have tried three outlets and three power cords. Please just to ease my mind on not knowing how to power up a mac, I do just press the button and release? Or do I hold for a few secs and release?

I cannot figure out why both my father inlaw and the guy at the Apple store were able to power it up, and I cannot.

Only thing I can think of is the power up at the apple store was a freak thing maybe due to heat from the sun during the drive to the store.

I know I sound stupid, but I am extreamly noob to mac. This is the first I have ever touched, lol(and its broke ) Am I trying to power it up the right way? If I am then I can move on to try and figrue out why its not powering up. If I am not powering it up right, then that would explain why I cant power it up, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

This is really really simple, you push the power button, it should come on, if not it's broken. Macs are not some special machines that requires a secret handshake-password to turn on (logging in may be another story), they are just computers, much like a Dell, Gateway or HP. The Mac you have is broken, it could be the power supply, it could be the board, who knows. If your enterprising enough you can open it up and mess with it, if not, toss it.

QUOTE Thanks
ChangedSoul

Thanks, thats all I needed. Woohoo!!!! I have a broke mac. Now the fun begins, trying to fix it . Who knows, if I get it working and I like it, I may convert from PC to Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

There were lots of problems with the analog boards on some iMac G3's. Google for more.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipod hifi mini | Access Hard Drive From Anywhere? »