Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    lamarck
    Guest
    i can't delete file from desktop
    i downloaded som apl. probably some game or something (i don't remember it was long time ago). i tried to install it but itt didn't go OK. so i wanted to delete the files. i deleted all of them except one. when i try to delete it it will say that the file is used by another task. grrr

    i'm new with mac. i used PC all my life. i'm confused. if i delete something from anywhere in PC a can find it. if the file is used by other rogram i can close that program and delete file. or i can run win in safe mode with minimal things running and i will ged rid of that file. i even can download file schreder...
    in mac i can't even list running processes. why is everything so dificult with mac?

  2. #2

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarck
    i downloaded som apl. probably some game or something (i don't remember it was long time ago). i tried to install it but itt didn't go OK. so i wanted to delete the files. i deleted all of them except one. when i try to delete it it will say that the file is used by another task. grrr

    i'm new with mac. i used PC all my life. i'm confused. if i delete something from anywhere in PC a can find it. if the file is used by other rogram i can close that program and delete file. or i can run win in safe mode with minimal things running and i will ged rid of that file. i even can download file schreder...
    in mac i can't even list running processes. why is everything so dificult with mac?
    I am guessing that you are trying to delete something while a .dmg file is still mounted. Either that or you haven't acutally quit the application and are trying to delete it while it is running.
    Make sure that you have all apps quit then try again.
    Mac is not difficult. But from the way you are describing it, you are making it more difficult than it is because you are still thinking Windows. By trying to compare tasks and features of one OS to the other, you are only going to make things harder in learing the new one.
    :black:
    Like I have said numerous times... UNlearn what you have learned. Forget how it is done or was done in Windows and focus on how to do it in Mac.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  3. #3

    novicew's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2006
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    1,385
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    If you open the activity monitor (Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor), you can see all the currently running processors. If you know which process causes the prob., simply select it and click "Quit Process" button on top left.

  4. #4
    lamarck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    I am guessing that you are trying to delete something while a .dmg file is still mounted. Either that or you haven't acutally quit the application and are trying to delete it while it is running.
    Make sure that you have all apps quit then try again.
    Mac is not difficult. But from the way you are describing it, you are making it more difficult than it is because you are still thinking Windows. By trying to compare tasks and features of one OS to the other, you are only going to make things harder in learing the new one.
    :black:
    Like I have said numerous times... UNlearn what you have learned. Forget how it is done or was done in Windows and focus on how to do it in Mac.
    hmm. okay. i'll try not to think windows. so how do i unmout .dmg?? i did this like 1 year ago. nobody really uses this computer. so the apl should not be running

    i don't have nothing on desktop that could be thrown in to the trash (i'm suggesting that's how it is unmounting done).

    somebody already renamed this file to .sit . if i run this file it'll start to instal 7th Fleet Deluxe, but it never finishes (probably because other files are already gone)

    please help

    if i try to run it. i

  5. #5
    lamarck
    Guest
    re
    Quote Originally Posted by novicew
    If you open the activity monitor (Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor), you can see all the currently running processors. If you know which process causes the prob., simply select it and click "Quit Process" button on top left.
    i don't have Activity Monitor, but i found Process Viewer. of course i have no idea about the name of process, but there is one that is called automount. but it's owned by root and i'm appearently not a root. how can i log in as root?

  6. #6

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    29,052
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Just what Mac do you own? Also which version of OSX is installed on it? Click the Blue Apple and then on About this Mac. What version of OSX is it? Sounds like a OLD version. There was a Process Viewer in Jaguar 10.2 I believe instead of Activity Monitor.

  7. #7
    lamarck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7
    Just what Mac do you own? Also which version of OSX is installed on it? Click the Blue Apple and then on About this Mac. What version of OSX is it? Sounds like a OLD version. There was a Process Viewed in Jaguar 10.2 I believe instead of Activity Monitor.

    its imac G3, and version os OS is 10.2.8. (jaguar). i just downloaded all the updates for it. is it a big problem?

  8. #8

    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Also to add another question to dtravis7's list. What it the file or application that you are trying to delete?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

  9. #9
    lamarck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    Also to add another question to dtravis7's list. What it the file or application that you are trying to delete?

    dunno. some stupid old game. the installer says 7th Fleet deluxe

  10. #10

    Graphite's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2003
    Location
    Tropical Island, Jealous?
    Posts
    5,279
    Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Cocktail 3.5 for jaguar should have a Force Empty trash feature.

    •Also there may be a problem with the length or the type of file it is. Rename it, change it to a different extension like .txt and change the permissions.

  11. #11
    lamarck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite
    Cocktail 3.5 for jaguar should have a Force Empty trash feature.

    •Also there may be a problem with the length or the type of file it is. Rename it, change it to a different extension like .txt and change the permissions.

    there is a other post with exactly same problem
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2466
    i fixed it like the guy from that post

  12. #12

    Graphite's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2003
    Location
    Tropical Island, Jealous?
    Posts
    5,279
    Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarck
    there is a other post with exactly same problem
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2466
    i fixed it like the guy from that post
    oh good so you found the search feature or you scrolled down to similar threads. good.

  13. #13
    lamarck
    Guest
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite
    oh good so you found the search feature or you scrolled down to similar threads. good.
    am i good or what))

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Desktop file won't delete
    By riegeronimo in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 06:34 PM
  2. Can't find .xltx file to delete / delete template excel 2011
    By sessions500 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM
  3. Can't drag or delete a file on my desktop
    By cyrusking24 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 04:25 AM
  4. cant delete zip file from desktop ?
    By colleenAZ in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
  5. Cn911.exe malware file CAN'T Delete from Mac Desktop
    By macmania33 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •