New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

general mac question?

Thread Closed

tomanizzle

tomanizzle is on a distinguished road

ok so i have been thinking of buying a mac for some time but im not shure on what i should get. i was thinking of getting a mac mini cause its not the most expensive but i also have been thinkin of maby looking for a used ibook g4. umm i guess one of the main reasons i want one is to edit so if any one can point me in the direction of whats better to get the help would be greatly appretiated.

ps. im still living in the stone age and i have dialup lol i noticed theres something extra to buy to hook up a mac with dialup would i have to buy one or will it just work.
komo

hmmm... that depends on the type of computer you need, a desktop or laptop...
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

What exactly do you want to edit?

And new Mac's don't come with a modem so you will have to get a usb modem to use your dial up account. However an iBook G4 would have a built in modem.
tomanizzle

i aggressive skate n me n my friends film eachother skating like grinding down rails n stuff. haha and about weather i want a laptop or desktop i really dont know whichever one is better i guess, which would u prefer
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

That's the exact reason I got my first powerbook. The protability was awsome cause we could take the footage off the camera right after filming and then reuse the tape. Also makes reviewing it easier as you don't have to use the tiny screen on the camera. So I would go with laptop. And and iBook G4 should run iMovie just fine.
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanizzle
.... im not shure on what i ....

sure is not spelt with an H.

Welcome to mac-forums! I know you'll read the rules and take a look at the forum courtesy thread!
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite

Welcome to mac-forums! I know you'll read the rules and take a look at the forum courtesy thread!
And 'spelt' is spelled like "spelled"
:p

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Hahaha. Nice catch.
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y

Are you sure...?

spelt P Pronunciation Key (splt)
v.
A past tense and a past participle of spell.

From Dictionary.com

deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite

Maybe he meant 'shure" as in the microphone haha :p
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Are you sure...?

spelt P Pronunciation Key (splt)
v.
A past tense and a past participle of spell.

From Dictionary.com
well, yes I am sure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Dictionary and Thesaurus
spell 1 |spel| verb ( past and past part. spelled |speld|or chiefly Brit. spelt |spelt|) [ trans. ]
Last I knew, Graph wasn't British, but rather American :black:
Therefore he technically should have followed the rules of American grammar and spelling and "spelled" should have been used.
:p :black:

...but back on topic...
If you are going to do a lot of video editing, an iMac would suit your needs better than the Mini.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

in that case, iMac over Mini agreed.
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

As long as marriam-webster allows me to use it.. it is still spelt correctly.

There is also a huge difference between accidental and intentional miss spelling.
tomanizzle

yea i think im just gonna save more and part with my money to get an imac
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanizzle
yea i think im just gonna save more and part with my money to get an imac
if you CAN wait on getting an iMac, I suggest waiting until after Apple's WWDC in August to see if they roll out with anything new and exciting then...

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me

Thread Closed

« My 4yr old eMac, G4, 512MG, 700MH | Windows apps without Windows »