New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Apple says "Macs just work", but....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jimmywoods

"The problem reared its ugly head recently when ZDNet Australia sister site CNET.com.au noticed that battery power on its 15-inch MacBook Pro -- acquired late-February -- was dramatically reduced for no reason.

Despite being fully charged, the notebook could only last under 15 minutes on the battery. Rather than providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (Apple's stated lifespan for the 15-inch model), the MacBook Pro began to randomly shut down.

The outer casing of the battery pack had swelled up to the point that the notebook was exposed to dirt."

-

Their advertising campains are just a brainwash really arn't they.
If this happened to PC's, mac users would say..."yeah, stupid PC's never work..etc"

I think it's just computers in general. PC/MAC whatever. It's just that electronic stuff is always likely to malfunction.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

it's a rev a machine, there are always gonna be problems. Plus, it's lithium-polymer batteries, again which always seem to present one problem or another.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

And that is one, isolated case. Sounds like mere bad luck... Windows or Mac.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Computers are always going to have a few problems, PCs or Macs. Apple's new commercials aren't completely truthful, but commercials rarely are. They're just lies and exagerations to get you to buy products. (I'm obviously not a marketing major)
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

jimmy I think you misunderstand what "Macs just work" actually means. Apple don't claim that their products don't have faults, they are talking about the usability of a Mac. I see you only have one post, so I have to ask if you actually own and use a Mac on a daily basis?
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

It's true that all products, new old etc all have problems every now and then, but I think it's a poor show to say it's okay because it's a revision A....

Users shouldn't accept that just because it's Rev A it's going to have problems, sounds like you've all been duped by the dream of owning an Apple, image over quality and all that. It's just another product like any other, and if you're happy to say it's a Rev A so it's gonna happen, then you're just the kind of mug Apple are looking for.

No product should be released without being 100% tested, and if it turns out there is a problem that affects more than a very small number, it should be dealt with swiftly, but this kind of production quality should not be expected, or accepted.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckalicious
No product should be released without being 100% tested, and if it turns out there is a problem that affects more than a very small number, it should be dealt with swiftly, but this kind of production quality should not be expected, or accepted.
Show me one company that has a 100% track record of flawless products. It just doesn't happen. You can't 100% test every single unit because the production cost would be so high that nobody could afford to buy them.

So, one battery has problems. Did apple swiftly sort it out? Yes, as far as I know they did. Has the problem been seen anywhere else? No, not that I am aware of.

On the one hand, you say that it's wrong to accept that new products won't be perfect right out of the door. On the other hand, if you genuinely expect that a company has spent time and money thoroughly testing the product to a degree that it CANNOT fail, then you're deluding yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam
Show me one company that has a 100% track record of flawless products. It just doesn't happen. You can't 100% test every single unit because the production cost would be so high that nobody could afford to buy them.

So, one battery has problems. Did apple swiftly sort it out? Yes, as far as I know they did. Has the problem been seen anywhere else? No, not that I am aware of.

On the one hand, you say that it's wrong to accept that new products won't be perfect right out of the door. On the other hand, if you genuinely expect that a company has spent time and money thoroughly testing the product to a degree that it CANNOT fail, then you're deluding yourself.
I wasn't talking about this specific battery problem, but more the constant "It's a Rev A" excuse.

I am well aware that many new products have issues, but it seems like Apple are one of the worst offenders, with pretty much every single product they release being badly flawed (iPod battery, Logic board, MBP heat/noise issues, who knows what else (I'm relatively new to the Mac scene but have done much reading)).

I am also aware that very few products will ever be released perfect, so there's no delusion there all I am saying is Apple seem particularly bad at testing what can only be described as sub-standard manufactured products (heat sink paste, plastic strip over vent etc), and yet charge phenomenal prices for them, so you're right, if a product is tested well, it should cost more. Apple products cost more, and don't use better components than anyone else.....

Just my opinion of course
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta101
jimmy I think you misunderstand what "Macs just work" actually means. Apple don't claim that their products don't have faults, they are talking about the usability of a Mac. I see you only have one post, so I have to ask if you actually own and use a Mac on a daily basis?
I agree. Hardware is a different story. Even though hardware is extremely important I have to agree with zeta101. I think they are talking more about the interface and how "right out of the box" they just work. All your software is their ready to go. In all the years i have been using PC's I have never been able to hook up a camcorder to it and have it automatically start importing the video. I needed extra software and hardware. Half the time the drivers and or firmware needed to be updated. then in the middle of importing it would crash.

On the same note, Macs are far from perfect.......but pretty darn close But thats just my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
And that is one, isolated case. Sounds like mere bad luck..
It's a common problem.
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/06/15.13.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

If a battery wears out prematurely due to maufacturing or design defect... they are going to replace it. Lots of people have reported manufacturing problems on these and other forums and they are almost always resolved by the product being replaced in a timely manner. Lets not Troll, eh?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

the rev. a. excuse is not an excuse it is a reality. do you go buy the first model off the line of a car that comes out? no you wait until the bugs are fixed and at that rate you are spending 20,000+ and not 3,000.

and batteries are batteries they will have a fail rate and. and i wonder what those aussies were doing with the 'book that it was exposed to dirt?

i leave only to state this:

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Im confused...please help. | First Apple product »