New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

MacBook Pro - Whats this Merom stuff?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Christiaan Troo

I supposedly read this "Intel officially says Merom is coming in August (exact date unspecified)."

What is it?
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

This article tells about what Intel is going to be introducing next, Conroe, and Merom. Intel Core Microarchitecture.

Its probably going to be close to January 2007 when the next os by Apple is supposed to be introduced and when the new chips are to be put in macs.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Current Intel-based Macs use the "Yonah" chip (single-core and dual-core). The MacBook Pro utilizes the 1.8ghz, 2.0ghz, and 2.16ghz Core Duo processors. The next line of processors, the Core 2 Duo series, will introduce the "Merom" as the mobile processor. They are 64-bit chips and have twice the L2 cache that the Yonah chips offer. Basically they give you better performance. So Merom = next Yonah

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
funklord

I'm looking to get a new Macbook pro either this summer or the next one after graduation.

With Merom looming, it sounds like I should hold off until next summer. I really want a new laptop, but I don't want to drop over 2 grand just to have missed an upgrade that makes it run faster and (from what I'm hearing) cooler.

I know playing the waiting game with computers just makes you wait forever, but this seems like a pretty major update (that and the new OS).

Would you guys wait as well?
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Honestly, the current apples are so fast, I'm not sure that small a speed difference would make that big of a difference in the machine.

I could be wrong, though...

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

funklord, even if you wait and you get one next summer (a whole year from now) apple will then annouce some even more innovations and intel will have some other processors on the horizon. If you need the laptop now and you can put it to good use for the next year then get it!
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

yeah, I doubt the current macbooks will become obselete until at least a good five years, maybe even ten. I know plenty of people here still use G3 macs...

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help needed asap (school related) | Looking at a new bike »