New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

osx on a pc

Thread Closed

Skid

hey guys well i got a copy of osx 86 and i installed it on my pc it runs GREAT just having some driver issues with the network card does anybody know of any wireless USB cards that will work with osx i have herd that realtec has drivers built into osx and that the netgear cards use a realtec shipset can anyone confirm that???

btw my pc specs

intel p4 3.0 ghz w/HT
2 GB DDR2
geforce 6600 256 MB ram
watercooled

i am tring to dualboot osx with windows (for gaming) and i need the internet to update the os and also dl bootcamp thanks for any help guys
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You will not receive help here. You are using an illegal pirated version of OS X. We do not allow discussion of warez.

Please take this as your only warning and I'd recommend reading the forum rules.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Skid

hey bro i do know the rules and i never said it was a pirated copy i bought it well came with my mbp thought i would see if it would work on my pc it worked if i can get drivers then i will buy another legit copy i don't have a problem supporting apple and the fine products they make
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

I think the point that schweb is making is that the license agreement for Apple OS is pretty clear that it is only meant to run on Apple hardware and any other use is prohibited. Like it or not that makes it illegal, and it puts the forum owners at great risk if they allow discussion of such things on their boards.
Skid

OH ok i understand now well then schweb i'm sorry that i made this thread i didn't know that apple prohibited it from any other uses besides apple hardware you can go ahead and delete or lock this thread then once again sry
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Hmmm, I always thought the copies of the OS that came with new Macs would only work on the Machine type they came with. I.E my G4 iBook discs wouldn't work on my G4 desktop, an iBook disc wouldn't work with an iMac, and so on. Is that no longer true with the Intel machines?

zap2

Can a install disk from a intel mac really work with a normal PC?
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2
Can a install disk from a intel mac really work with a normal PC?
No, it wouldn't. Not to mention that it would be illegal if it was possible.
So, let's all think a moment before we post any further on this.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Hmmm, I always thought the copies of the OS that came with new Macs would only work on the Machine type they came with. I.E my G4 iBook discs wouldn't work on my G4 desktop, an iBook disc wouldn't work with an iMac, and so on. Is that no longer true with the Intel machines?
Yeah I tried to install tiger on my ibook using a set of powerbook disc's and it didn't work for me. But I've heard people say they'd used there Intel Mac OS X install disc's to do the X86 install before.
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninc
Yeah I tried to install tiger on my ibook using a set of powerbook disc's and it didn't work for me. But I've heard people say they'd used there Intel Mac OS X install disc's to do the X86 install before.
boot your ibook into target disk mode then plug it into your powerbook and select it? It's worked for my iMac (g3 400mhz).
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
It depended on the machine. I had an older machine where disks would work with any Mac, which came in useful one time while I was traveling, but then the newer ones would only work with their specific machine sometimes. However I don't think that is universally true.

As for the rest of this thread, I'm just going to go ahead and lock it since some people, *cough* zap2 *cough*, continue to want to talk about things that are not allowed to be talked about on this forum as I stated earlier.

schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid
OH ok i understand now well then schweb i'm sorry that i made this thread i didn't know that apple prohibited it from any other uses besides apple hardware you can go ahead and delete or lock this thread then once again sry
No problem, also think about it this way:

I'm sure you still have it on your Mac and now you're installing it on another machine. Even if the Apple license allowed you to install it on non-Apple hardware, you still only have license for one machine.

Thread Closed

« Building a home file/print server... | iMac G5 17" screen »