New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Moving On From G3 iBook - What Should I Buy Now?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fumomo

I just found a buyer for my G3 800MHz, 640MB RAM, 30GB hard drive iBook and am completely confused about what to replace it with.

I thought it would just be a matter of choosing either a laptop (MacBook) or desktop (iMac) but on doing some reading I see that it's a bit more complicated than that! I suppose my real question is: should I go for a G5 or one of the new Intel models?

I know that Rosetta needs a lot more RAM to run PowerPC apps on the Intel machines (about 2-3x more, I heard) so if I were to get one then I would definitely be getting an extra 512MB to get the RAM up to 1GB. But maybe that's not even necessary if I'm not using PowerPC apps all the time; I do use Photoshop, Microsoft Office and Dreamweaver but not on a daily basis. What do you chaps think?

Maybe I should get a G5 and wait until all the problems with the new Intels are sorted out? Are we still on Rev A?
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

I say go for Intel. Slowly, Apple is switching all of it's focus to Intel, and even though PPC will not be gone for a while, it will eventually be gone.

BTW got a copy of Office, and MS Word runs just fine with 512 RAM- I find that SOME PPC apps run fine under Rosetta, others lag so much it's not even funny.

I believe we are still on Rev A, but if You're getting an iMac, there have been no problems with the 17". Mine works just fine.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

My wife and I just switched to Macs and we have a macbook and mac mini. We love them both and the Intel processors are very fast.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I say since you had an old g3, this shows you like to keep your computers for a while. so my recommendation would be to buy the best computer that you can afford with the most ram, etc, that way you will be able to hold onto it for a long time down the road.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
fumomo

Thanks for the advice. I'm still umming and ahhing about the Intels but I have decided to get one of the 17" iMacs.
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.26 4GBRAM iPhone6

hi

since you're jumping two generations to a g5 intel imac

the leap will feel like something awesome coming from a 3 . we have a g3 g4

and g5 the new macbook just made macs faster and faster and

faster. truly superb machine.

regards
QUOTE Thanks
fumomo

I decided to go with the Intel instead of G5 as a lot of people have said that they are likely to be more "futureproof". This morning I put in an order for the 17" iMac and I'll see how I go with 512MB RAM for now. I can't wait for it to arrive!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DIRECTV Package! | Apple Stickers »