New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Box.net free 1GB account, mount on your Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

I read on TUAW.com the other day about www.box.net who are offering online storage accounts (free 1gb and paid ones for more space/features). The cool thing is that you can mount the storage on your mac kinda like an iDisk. It doesn't seem to be an advertised featured, but some other guys at uneasysilence.com figured it out.

One problem is that you can't really upload files with spaces in their names because they become invisible when browsing in the Finder (it's a bug iwth box.net). After reading through blog comments etc and having a play around with automator I made something I was happy with so I've made a post on a blog (here ) detailling how to setup the mounted drive (which is suprisingly easy) and a followup post (here) on how to workaround the spaces in filename bug.

Hope someone finds this useful! You can mount the drive pretty easily in windows to so it can be useful for swapping small files (I don't think it can go over 10mb on the free account unfortunatly).
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

interesting i will have to check that out
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
armoguy94

thanks..this.is.useful.
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

yeah, I'll be able to use it! Thanks

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

You could also use gDisk.
http://gdisk.sourceforge.net/
turns a gmail into a storage. 2gb (and counting apparently)
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Good find! I might have to check this out.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder
You could also use gDisk.
http://gdisk.sourceforge.net/
turns a gmail into a storage. 2gb (and counting apparently)
When I first tried this a while back it didn't have the function to remember your login details, which made it very annoying to use, just had another look and it's nice to see you can now add your login and pass to the keychain, ill start using this too!

EDIT--Looks like i spoke too soon, after you quit gdisk and reopen you still have to enter your email in again (although the keychain does autofill the password), argggh! why can't it just remember it! neye:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« good singer - bad president | Bluetooth Pens Anyone!? »