New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

allofmp3.com

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Surfing Charlie

Surfing Charlie is on a distinguished road

I couldn't find this anywhere on the forum, even after searching, which I'm surprised at so sorry if I've missed it.

Has anyone any views (technical or otherwise) about this site ?

Looks too good to be true... :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

GOOD find
QUOTE Thanks
Scroatdog

Scroatdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssaturday
GOOD find

I'd be hesitant to give out my credit card number to some Russian music site. Their prices are outstanding, but I think I'll wait until they get PayPal as a method of payment.

1) Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz, iWork, Ilife 06, Logic Pro, Office 2K4
2) A PC with a bunch of stuff in it.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

That site is a ripoff. You have to pay a deposit upfront, and have a balance on your account... THEN you can download songs. With some songs costing mere pennies, it would take a long time to use up your huge deposit you have to make. I much prefer the "pay as you download" method of ITMS.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

This is a risky topic for this forum, but I'll bite.

I've used AllofMP3.com in the past, never had any issues with Credit card fraud, they don't keep your number on file. The legality outside of Russia is questionable and it's very existence may be holding up Russia’s entrance into WTO. It is not "technically" illegal in the US, but is somewhat of a grey area in the law since the Russian RIAA equivalent (ROMS) claims that it is legal under Russian law and refuses to work with the RIAA.

There is pressure on Russia to change their laws to suit the WTO folks, but so far the Russians are not budging.

Good quality music, the price varies by bit-rate and so on. I would disagree with the assessment of it as a "rip off". You can pay in as much as you want to start and go from there. They have a huge selection and the ability to download higher bit-rate/quality music is a nice bonus for the price.

QUOTE Thanks
Surfing Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
That site is a ripoff. You have to pay a deposit upfront, and have a balance on your account... THEN you can download songs. With some songs costing mere pennies, it would take a long time to use up your huge deposit you have to make. I much prefer the "pay as you download" method of ITMS.
But...it's an upfront deposit of $10. Then with albums only costing a dollar each, why would I worry about having to buy 10 albums ?

Here in the UK I have to pay $20 to download an album - I'm looking for a catch here...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfing Charlie
- I'm looking for a catch here...
There isn't one.....

QUOTE Thanks
Surfing Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
This is a risky topic for this forum, but I' bite.

I've used AllodMP3.com in the past, never had any issues with Credit card fraud, they don't keep your number on file. The legality outside of Russia is questionable and it's very existence may be holding up Russia’s entrance into WTO. It is not "technically" illegal in the US, but is somewhat of a grey area in the law since the Russian RIAA equivalent (ROMS) claims that it is legal under Russian law and refuses to work with the RIAA.

There is pressure on Russia to change their laws to suit the WTO folks, but so far the Russians are not budging.
I'd assumed this was the reason I couldn't find a discussion on here. There is a lot of talk here in the UK of how to close down these sort of sites. There's a similar one for downloading movies which has just been taken down but is apparently about to resurface.

I was interested in people's opinions about the morals as well - clearly the site encourages and facilitates illegal downloading with copyright infringements and artists not getting royalties.

Making it harder for young new bands to make some money, or just free trade ?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Well, it is NOT illegal under Russian law, so technically it is doing nothing illegal in Russia The ROMS claims that they pay royalty fees to the artists, although I have seen no proof of this myself. Again, the legality outside of Russia is open to question, but the RIAA is not currently (or planning on) prosecuting US citizens who use the site, although they are pressuring the Russians to change their laws and take it down.

As for the morality of the site, that is up to each individual depending on which way your moral compass points....

QUOTE Thanks
jepreston03

jepreston03 is on a distinguished road

I use allofmp3 and love it. My question here is that I am thinking of switching to an iMac, thus the reason that I am in the forums, but I am unaware of how to use the site with mac seeing that the allofmp3 explorer that is used to down load the music is only windows compatible right now. Any help here would be great!
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

new young bands aren't the ones losing money here, they're actually getting promoted. Personally, i'm more likely to download somethign illegaly that i've never listened to, and if i like them i'd buy their music. The bands missin gout on this are the big names...Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam....etc. etc....
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepreston03
I use allofmp3 and love it. My question here is that I am thinking of switching to an iMac, thus the reason that I am in the forums, but I am unaware of how to use the site with mac seeing that the allofmp3 explorer that is used to down load the music is only windows compatible right now. Any help here would be great!
I've not downloaded from them in a few months, but no other program was required last time I did. The music simply downloaded via my browser (Safari) to my desktop.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
There isn't one.....

There is...
http://www.ifpi.org/site-content/press/20060601.html
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

its illegal under USA law , and if your going to break the law i really don't see why you should pay for it? that said i use iTunes
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quoting from a site that claims to "represent the recording industry worldwide" doesn't give me any real confidence in it's legitimacy. Propaganda is propaganda and it comes from both sides. IF one considers the proprietors of Allofmp3.com to be slime balls, the record industry is just as bad, or worse.

Either way, there is no real catch. If the site were as illegal as that article would lead one to believe, it would have been shut down long ago. Maybe it's not legit in Russia as the article claims, or maybe it is, but there have been lawsuits and threats from the Russian Govt before and the site is still around.

Apparently the site mentioned above needs to update their propaganda page. Here is nice article at EndGadgte that says, in effect, AllofMp3.com can not be criminally prosecuted under existing Russian law, but could be subject to civil suits.

Here is another, somewhat lengthy, article from digital music news about AllofMP3.com and it's popularity.

The real issue with closing them down seems to be "Specifically, Russian anti-piracy law is mainly focused on physical CD- and DVD-based counterfeiting, and does not firmly address digital formats." In other words, it is a loophole in the Russian law.

Legal issues’ aside, using the service is up to each individual to decide on their own. I've never had any problems and feel no guilt for using the service on occasion.

That being said, I have downloaded significantly more content and spent much more money on iTunes and E-Music.com than at AllofMP3.com.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Appleinsider.com is broken! | World Cup Frenzy. »