New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Buying advice on refurbished products

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

me2621a

hi im considering buying a 2.16ghz macbook pro. im thinking about buying refurbished. Has anyone bought a refurbished computer from apple and if so can you tell me if there were anyscratches on it. what i mean is i like my things perfect. apple claims that it will be identicle to a new computer. is this true. please help.
thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

yeah, most refurbs are perfectly fine, but im pretty sure by law they have to separate the machines with defects on production initially (could even be RAM placed incorrectly), they fix them and sell them, they are fine and a good cheap(er) way to get a mac.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

Has anyone gotten a refurb from the Apple site? (iMac, mini, MBP, etc?)

I see the page on the Apple web site that lists the refurbished items. Is their a way to find out what was wrong with a particular item?

I would like to save a couple bucks but have had bad experiences with refurbed products. Mostly with car radios and PC equipment. I think Apple makes a far better product, and a refurbed Mac is probably better than some new PC's but i don't want to save money if i am going to have problems later on.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeremy W

Jeremy W will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard
Has anyone gotten a refurb from the Apple site? (iMac, mini, MBP, etc?)
I just purchased a refurbished 12" iBook G4 from the online site. It works great!

Oh, and, aahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too...yeah
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

You should have the same one year warranty on a refurbed product just as you would if it was "brand new". You also have the same option to purchase Applecare to further extend your coverage. I have never purchased a refurbed computer from Apple but I did purchase an ipod from their refurb store a couple of years ago. It worked and looked like new, and was a great ipod. I don't see any reason not to save a few books by going with the refurbed model.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Thank you for the help and info. I saw a MBP w/Intel for my wife that i want to get on the refurbed items list. I am looking for an iMac 20" w/Intel. She currently has a MB w/Intel but I would like to upgrade her to a 2.0ghz and a super drive. I currently have a Mac mini that i got on ebay but would like to get the iMac for the extra HD space, ghz and video. We are recent Switchers and got low end Macs just to see if we would like the Mac. We love them and don't plan and going back to PC's.
QUOTE Thanks
fumomo

I bought a refurb iBook from an Apple store (not online) and can confirm that refurbs are fine - they've been checked over properly. Mine was in mint condition and I'd certainly get a refurb again to save money.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

they are perfectly fine, even if someone opens up a computer turns it on and returns it the comp goes to the refurb store. some units could possibly have a small scratch on them but hey, you dont have to worry about your first scratch because it is already there!

there is a strict refurb policy that is at the refurb store site you should check it out. also, the the website doesnt reflect every unit that they sell

i say that if you need to save the few hundred bucks, get the refurbs!

note: student discounts do not apply to refurb units

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

I feel more confident in ordering a refurb now. As soon as I see one I like i'm going to order. Thanks again everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

I found a 20" refurbed iMac at my local apple stoe. I pick it up tomorrow since i upgraded the ram to 1gb. Can't wait to get it home. Thanks again for everyones advice and help.
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard
I found a 20" refurbed iMac at my local apple stoe. I pick it up tomorrow since i upgraded the ram to 1gb. Can't wait to get it home. Thanks again for everyones advice and help.
Congrats!! Waiting is the hardest part!! :p
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MadTV - iPad (iPod Parody) | error message during weekly maintenance »