me2621a
    Buying advice on refurbished products
    hi im considering buying a 2.16ghz macbook pro. im thinking about buying refurbished. Has anyone bought a refurbished computer from apple and if so can you tell me if there were anyscratches on it. what i mean is i like my things perfect. apple claims that it will be identicle to a new computer. is this true. please help.
    thank you

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    yeah, most refurbs are perfectly fine, but im pretty sure by law they have to separate the machines with defects on production initially (could even be RAM placed incorrectly), they fix them and sell them, they are fine and a good cheap(er) way to get a mac.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
    Has anyone gotten a refurb from the Apple site? (iMac, mini, MBP, etc?)

I see the page on the Apple web site that lists the refurbished items. Is their a way to find out what was wrong with a particular item?

I would like to save a couple bucks but have had bad experiences with refurbed products. Mostly with car radios and PC equipment. I think Apple makes a far better product, and a refurbed Mac is probably better than some new PC's but i don't want to save money if i am going to have problems later on.

Specs:
    17" iMac G5
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard
    Has anyone gotten a refurb from the Apple site? (iMac, mini, MBP, etc?)
    I just purchased a refurbished 12" iBook G4 from the online site. It works great!
    Oh, and, aahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too...yeah

Specs:
    Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
    You should have the same one year warranty on a refurbed product just as you would if it was "brand new". You also have the same option to purchase Applecare to further extend your coverage. I have never purchased a refurbed computer from Apple but I did purchase an ipod from their refurb store a couple of years ago. It worked and looked like new, and was a great ipod. I don't see any reason not to save a few books by going with the refurbed model.

Specs:
    Thank you for the help and info. I saw a MBP w/Intel for my wife that i want to get on the refurbed items list. I am looking for an iMac 20" w/Intel. She currently has a MB w/Intel but I would like to upgrade her to a 2.0ghz and a super drive. I currently have a Mac mini that i got on ebay but would like to get the iMac for the extra HD space, ghz and video. We are recent Switchers and got low end Macs just to see if we would like the Mac. We love them and don't plan and going back to PC's.

fumomo
    I bought a refurb iBook from an Apple store (not online) and can confirm that refurbs are fine - they've been checked over properly. Mine was in mint condition and I'd certainly get a refurb again to save money.

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    they are perfectly fine, even if someone opens up a computer turns it on and returns it the comp goes to the refurb store. some units could possibly have a small scratch on them but hey, you dont have to worry about your first scratch because it is already there!

there is a strict refurb policy that is at the refurb store site you should check it out. also, the the website doesnt reflect every unit that they sell

i say that if you need to save the few hundred bucks, get the refurbs!

note: student discounts do not apply to refurb units

-chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Specs:
    I feel more confident in ordering a refurb now. As soon as I see one I like i'm going to order. Thanks again everyone.

Specs:
    I found a 20" refurbed iMac at my local apple stoe. I pick it up tomorrow since i upgraded the ram to 1gb. Can't wait to get it home. Thanks again for everyones advice and help.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard
    I found a 20" refurbed iMac at my local apple stoe. I pick it up tomorrow since i upgraded the ram to 1gb. Can't wait to get it home. Thanks again for everyones advice and help.
    Congrats!! Waiting is the hardest part!! :p

Thread Information