New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Tv screen of choice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

Do you prefer:
flat plasma T.V., LCD T.V., or a rear projection T.V.?
--
HD TV or No?
--
Surround Sound or No?
--

My uncle has a plasma tv (phillips), I didn't like it, it was really blurry and it cut off at the top and bottom. I like the rear projection t.v. it makes my friends go 'whoa'.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

plasma (so i heard from the guy at a sony store) is a technology that is going bye-bye due to advancements in lcd, but it still does have its benefits.

my parents won a 42inch or so sony wega HD widescreen thing that rocks, with regular plain old cable the picture wasnt so hot, we got upgraded to digital cable by comcast and the picture rocks.

hd? heck yea! i always tune into the hd chanels when there is a choice

surrend sound. heck yea!!! the sound coming from your tv will most likely suck because they put all the technology into the screen etc. and you have a series of really small sub-par for what you paid for speakers. we are rocking a yamaha reciever with bose acoustimass 16 setup and it blows me away ever day of the week.

your uncles tv wasnt set up properly thats why it was cutting off stuff.

disadvantage to plasma: if you watch ESPN 24/7 or close to that you will start to burn 'the bottom line' into your screen, not so much a problem with lcd

rear projection flat screen is still the way to go if you dont have the money for the other two but the other two are great!

hope this all made sense because i am not going to pass go, collect 200 dollars or reread what i just wrote.
g'day mate
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

Prior to returning to school in January, I was the sales manager for an audio video company back home for two years. 99% of our business was front projection systems (overhead projector and front screen) but we did our fair share of plasma/lcd installs and a few rear projection sets. Other than a front projection system, the absolute best bang for your buck right now is a rear projection LCD/DLP television. The colors are very crisp, picture detail and resolution is great, and the cost kicks flat panel TV's to the curb. The technology I hate the most is Plasma. Dark colors are not reproduced accurately, they put off a ton of heat, and I have had to send alot of plasmas in for service. With their picture quality, you have to spend usually in the $5-10,000 range to get an image as great as rear projections, or projectors for that matter. Now when I say rear projection, I am not talking about CRT. CRT is the type of big screen that we all grew up with in the 80's and 90's. While picture quality is usually very good (HDTV wise), the viewing angles suck, and they tend to be darker. They are also just very big size wise compared to newer technologies. I picked up a 44" Panasonic Rear Projection LCD Thanksgiving of last year on sale for $1200. It is a beautiful TV and has worked without a hitch. My original plan was to purchase a 42" or 50" Sony Rear projection LCD but I couldn't pass up the price on this one. Sony makes one of the best rear LCD's on the market and are worth looking at. Samsung also makes a beautiful rear DLP TV I would be happy to have.

Plasma, while not as popular due to larger LCD's, as it once was, is far from a dying technology. Several companies, such as Pioneer, only make a Plasma television and have devoted millions of dollars to R&D which will lead to cheaper and better versions down the road. Like I stated before, do not care for plasma at all but would prefer a large LCD to hang on my wall.

Flat Panel LCD's, while still very pricey for anything over a 32", are slowly coming down in price. Many versions are still at the price points that plasma was 3-5 years ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/p...p-monitor.aspx

this is what i have
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Plasma's are horrible, but cheaper...

I'd personally hang on another year before investing in a large LCD...
Currently I use an LCD projector, which is nice for movies but not good for casual TV (room needs to be fairly dark).
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

I'm a fan of "real" TV's if you will; something about having the CRT and knowing that there's electronics back there... I dunno, something pyschological with me I guess.

Although the parents did stumble upon a fairly high-grade Plasma recently for a good price. The thing has INCREDIBLE picture, and hooking up my PowerBook to it with a DVI cable is... oh God... OS X in 1080p on a 42-inch Plasma= Pure bliss.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you plan to use and xbox or any game console, don't get plasma. The refresh rate is not fast enough. Also as stated earlier they still have the burn in problem. Due to location and size. I have two 45in Sanyo LCDs.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

LCD TVs versus Plasma TVs.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

Plasmas are way better. They look more life like.

Too bad the are so much money thats why I have an LCD.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

I have loved my 52" DLP
QUOTE Thanks
SunsetRoadzter

SunsetRoadzter will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlike View Post
I have loved my 52" DLP
Same here 52" DLP is the way to go I think.

What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Blank DVDs | Papa John's Pizza is the fastest ever! »