New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

PCWorld's list of the top 25 worst tech products of all time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

Below is the condensed list of the top 25 tech inventions of all time.

The Complete List of Losers
1. America Online (1989-2006)
2. RealNetworks RealPlayer (1999)
3. Syncronys SoftRAM (1995)
4. Microsoft Windows Millennium (2000)
5. Sony BMG Music CDs (2005)
6. Disney The Lion King CD-ROM (1994)
7. Microsoft Bob (1995)
8. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (2001)
9. Pressplay and Musicnet (2002)
10. dBASE IV (1988)
11. Priceline Groceries and Gas (2000)
12. PointCast (1996)
13. IBM PCjr. (1984)
14. Gateway 2000 10th Anniversary PC (1995)
15. Iomega Zip Drive (1998)
16. Comet Cursor (1997)
17. Apple Macintosh Portable (1989)
18. IBM Deskstar 75GXP (2000)
19. OQO Model 1 (2004)
20. CueCat (2000)
21. Eyetop Wearable DVD Player (2004)
22. Apple Pippin @World (1996)
23. Free PCs (1999)
24. DigiScents iSmell (2001)
25. Sharp RD3D Notebook (2004)

Follow this link to see the full list with descriptions: Link
QUOTE Thanks
lil

I'm sure the Zip drive was released in 1995. (Unless the date of 1998 is of when Iomega was taken to court...)

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The funny thing is I never had any problems with any of my Zip drives. I started with a Parallel for the PC (SLOW as could be) but still works today and it's been beat and dropped. I took it on service calls to have a way at the time to back up data. It never let me down. Had one disk go bad but formatting fixed it. Maybe I was lucky. I still use my Zip 250 SCSI and have never had a problem with it.

Vicky, I think you are correct on the date of the Zip Drive. I am sure I had my Parallel around the time I was running Windows 95 and that was in 95/96.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Myself included in that, I never had an issue with Zip drives. I still use the one in my G4 actually (I may yet stick a Zip 750 in it, as that would be more useful than the 250). I had a Zip 100 SCSI for my IIfx, and I know I read reviews of the Zip drives in MacWorld/MacFormat/Amiga Format in early 1995.

The mid-90s was the mad age of magneto optical storage, though CD-R eventually dropped in price. The first advert I saw for a SCSI CD-Writer, external drive was for a 2x HP mechanism at 1999!!!!

Of course this was in the days of an 850MB IDE drive costing 129 and 4MB 72pin SIMM for 299. Bargain

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

I think the date given above is when that specific Zip Drive was offered by Iomega, not when zip drive technology as a whole hit the market. And as far as reliability goes, I can't comment as I have never in my life purchased, or touched a zip disk or zip drive.
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

AOL fittingly at the top ^_^
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

and yet many people have used their service, many people still use their service and almost everyone uses AIM.
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

I thought the OQO was pretty cool.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
The funny thing is I never had any problems with any of my Zip drives. I started with a Parallel for the PC (SLOW as could be) but still works today and it's been beat and dropped. I took it on service calls to have a way at the time to back up data. It never let me down. Had one disk go bad but formatting fixed it. Maybe I was lucky. I still use my Zip 250 SCSI and have never had a problem with it.

Vicky, I think you are correct on the date of the Zip Drive. I am sure I had my Parallel around the time I was running Windows 95 and that was in 95/96.
I've had many ZIP drives themselves go bad on me, or eat their disc. IOMEGA had quality control issues in the late 90s and early 2000's, so much so that it is a wonder they are still in business. AFAIAC, ZIP fits into this list nicely.

QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
and yet many people have used their service, many people still use their service and almost everyone uses AIM.
Well yes many people have used their service, in fact It was the first internet service I ever used.
That said, I'm merely commenting on my opinion - Although it seems other people share that opinion too
Furthermore many people have also used Windows ME, but I've yet to find anyone who thinks that is a good OS so....

As for AIM, well I can't see that almost everyone uses AIM at all.
At least not in the UK, I think it's fairly relative to who you know/your environment
Although I wish everyone did, since that would help with iChat a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Well i think that AOL was a good stepping stone for those new users.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCraver
I thought the OQO was pretty cool.
The OQO was a bit a head of its time, and has some few but key problems. Still the review that PC World editors/writers made about it was too unfair.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
Well i think that AOL was a good stepping stone for those new users.
Well on that point I totally agree, 100%.
That is pretty much what it was for me, a stepping stone and actually, it provided a pretty good platform to start on.

But as your knowledge expands, your opinions change - Suffice to say I'm not a fan anymore - But hey, you have a good point there, it is surely a good service for new users :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

AOL is the Devil. Plain and simple.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

Wasn't Bill Gates the devil? he also has 3 products on the list...

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« count to 1,000! | post a picture of YOU! »