New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Intel Mac users with Windows, Where did you put your windows key sticker?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Where did you put it? Just wondering, I am thinking under the battery would be a good place if you have a MacBook or MacBook Pro, but the mini and the iMac don't have a good place to hide it.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Under the battery sounds like a good place on a laptop. For the iMac and Mini I would put it under the stand (iMac) or on the bottom (Mini), but that's just me (not that I run windows...)

QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

are you talking about the 25 character activation key? i keep it with my xp disc so when i would reformat/reinstall windows, which i did quite a bit, it was right there.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstumpf
are you talking about the 25 character activation key? i keep it with my xp disc so when i would reformat/reinstall windows, which i did quite a bit, it was right there.
When you buy windows it comes with the authentication sticker that you are supposed to put on the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

*lol* for a second I thought Apple was supplying Windows Key stickers to stick on top of the command button because of boot camp *loooool*

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
When you buy windows it comes with the authentication sticker that you are supposed to put on the machine.
oh i bought xp from my school so it wasnt the full retail version, it was just the disc in a little sleeve.
QUOTE Thanks
TBoblp

TBoblp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
*lol* for a second I thought Apple was supplying Windows Key stickers to stick on top of the command button because of boot camp *loooool*
haha that's what I was thinking. Having never owned a windows computer I had no idea they had ID stickers

Jazz is life

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that **** and just play.
-Charlie Parker
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Only if you buy the OEM version and you can only legally do that if you are an OEM supplier!

I do hope noone is breaking the law. :p

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen-Moses
Only if you buy the OEM version
Really? I assumed it came with the full version also.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

No. Windows XP comes in the box and inside that is a cardboard gatefold with a few bits of tat in it, the XP CD and the WMP9/Video Editor 2 CD (this was for the SP1 pack) and on the blue CD folder was an orangey-yello sticker with the key on it.

Unless of course MS has changed it all now.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Really? I assumed it came with the full version also.
I am an OEM supplier and I also have full versions (i.e with the box and tat ) of every OS the great evil empire has ever produced (anyone want a full boxed set of MSDOS 4.1?). The OEM version comes with the stickers and by law I am supposed to stick it on the hardware, from that moment forward that copy of the OS can only legally be used on that bit of hardware. The full version can be installed and used on any hardware as long as it is only installed on one system at a time, if you install it on a second one you are breaking the law.

In practice Microshaft will allow you to re-install the OEM version if you can persuade them of the legality (i.e by telling them over the phone that your motherboard was fried) but according to the license agreement even that is theoretically not legal, they are just being "nice" to their customers.

The Apple license is similar btw, the disks that came with your Apple system are only legally valid on that particular system, if you install it on another one you are breaking the law (although an authorised Apple tech can transfer it to a new system in the case of repair or replacement). Similarly the full version can only be installed on one system unless you purchase the "family" pack in which case you can install it on up to five systems that you or your immediate family members own.

If you buy an OEM version (i.e from a bulk PC shifter or internet site) then if you are not an OEM supplier you are theoretically breaking the law and likewise if you sell on an OEM copy (even if supplied with the OEM hardware it was originally installed on!) and you aren't an OEM supplier you are also breaking the law.

Why do you think I prefer Linux!

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« eurovisin question | Sorry, but just too funny »