Intel Mac users with Windows, Where did you put your windows key sticker?
    Where did you put it? Just wondering, I am thinking under the battery would be a good place if you have a MacBook or MacBook Pro, but the mini and the iMac don't have a good place to hide it.

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro
    Under the battery sounds like a good place on a laptop. For the iMac and Mini I would put it under the stand (iMac) or on the bottom (Mini), but that's just me (not that I run windows...)

Specs:
    iBook G4 OSX Tiger
    are you talking about the 25 character activation key? i keep it with my xp disc so when i would reformat/reinstall windows, which i did quite a bit, it was right there.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelstumpf
    are you talking about the 25 character activation key? i keep it with my xp disc so when i would reformat/reinstall windows, which i did quite a bit, it was right there.
    When you buy windows it comes with the authentication sticker that you are supposed to put on the machine.

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    *lol* for a second I thought Apple was supplying Windows Key stickers to stick on top of the command button because of boot camp *loooool*
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Specs:
    iBook G4 OSX Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis
    When you buy windows it comes with the authentication sticker that you are supposed to put on the machine.
    oh i bought xp from my school so it wasnt the full retail version, it was just the disc in a little sleeve.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi
    *lol* for a second I thought Apple was supplying Windows Key stickers to stick on top of the command button because of boot camp *loooool*
    haha that's what I was thinking. Having never owned a windows computer I had no idea they had ID stickers
    Jazz is life

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that **** and just play.
    -Charlie Parker

The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Specs:
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
    Only if you buy the OEM version and you can only legally do that if you are an OEM supplier!

I do hope noone is breaking the law. :p

Amen-Moses

Quote Originally Posted by Amen-Moses
    Only if you buy the OEM version
    Really? I assumed it came with the full version also.

lil
    No. Windows XP comes in the box and inside that is a cardboard gatefold with a few bits of tat in it, the XP CD and the WMP9/Video Editor 2 CD (this was for the SP1 pack) and on the blue CD folder was an orangey-yello sticker with the key on it.

Unless of course MS has changed it all now.

Vicky

The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Specs:
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
    Really? I assumed it came with the full version also.
    I am an OEM supplier and I also have full versions (i.e with the box and tat ) of every OS the great evil empire has ever produced (anyone want a full boxed set of MSDOS 4.1?). The OEM version comes with the stickers and by law I am supposed to stick it on the hardware, from that moment forward that copy of the OS can only legally be used on that bit of hardware. The full version can be installed and used on any hardware as long as it is only installed on one system at a time, if you install it on a second one you are breaking the law.

In practice Microshaft will allow you to re-install the OEM version if you can persuade them of the legality (i.e by telling them over the phone that your motherboard was fried) but according to the license agreement even that is theoretically not legal, they are just being "nice" to their customers.

The Apple license is similar btw, the disks that came with your Apple system are only legally valid on that particular system, if you install it on another one you are breaking the law (although an authorised Apple tech can transfer it to a new system in the case of repair or replacement). Similarly the full version can only be installed on one system unless you purchase the "family" pack in which case you can install it on up to five systems that you or your immediate family members own.

If you buy an OEM version (i.e from a bulk PC shifter or internet site) then if you are not an OEM supplier you are theoretically breaking the law and likewise if you sell on an OEM copy (even if supplied with the OEM hardware it was originally installed on!) and you aren't an OEM supplier you are also breaking the law.

Why do you think I prefer Linux!

Amen-Moses

Thread Information