New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Macs with extras from the Apple Stores?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Can you walk out of an Apple store with anything but the "standard" configuration iMacs? And, if so, do they install the upgrades, or are they available in sealed boxes with different configurations? Naturally, it's all about being impatient. I'm really getting itchy for a 20" iMac, but I think I'd want to upgrade the HD, and the RAM.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I know my local apple store will do the RAM while you wait, im not sure if they do hard drives or not you would need to ask.
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockTuba
I know my local apple store will do the RAM while you wait, im not sure if they do hard drives or not you would need to ask.
Thank you. If within range of an Apple store, would you do the same thing, or order your configuration online?

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Well, when I went all they had was standard, I wanted the 17" iMac with 250 GB, and all they had was 160... I don't know if they do ram, shoulda asked...

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
daz087

daz087 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)

The Apple Store carries the standard models. They will upgrade the RAM at the store, unfortunately they won't upgrade the HD for you. For that you'd have to order online. Occasionally they do get in some upgraded models, but this is not something to count on.

- Z

Check out World of Apple for Apple news, reviews, giveaways, and more!
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz087
The Apple Store carries the standard models. They will upgrade the RAM at the store, unfortunately they won't upgrade the HD for you. For that you'd have to order online. Occasionally they do get in some upgraded models, but this is not something to count on.
Thanks very much. It probably won't hurt to call or stop in, but I expect I'll probably end up ordering and waiting.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

They will do RAM and they might have certain BTO configurations in stock as well, but I wouldn't count on it.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

i know in the uk we carry a handful of popular CTO configs (ie we did the 15" PB with 100Gb 7200 and 1Gb ram) but we never had that many so just give them a call

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekboy2000
Thank you. If within range of an Apple store, would you do the same thing, or order your configuration online?

Mark
I think calling would be your best bet, they could always have the one you want. If they didnt have it, or cant upgrade it ordering online would be the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

They will upgrade the RAM, but I decided to decline their offer, seeing how I'm not really licensed to print my own currency. $50 DIY vs. $~320-340 at the Apple Store, for 1GB of plain DDR RAM

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on desktop mac | Microsoft iPhoto »