New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

This has got to be a scam...what you think?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

my craigslist post: http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/ele/158927304.html for 2 turntables, note that i want under 200 bucks for them, i get reply:

Quote:
Hi,
I am very intrested in this item so get back to me ASAP if is still available forsales and the condition also.
i reply
Quote:
tables are in excelent condition, i only used them for about 20 hours at the very most. they have a little bit of dust on them and maybe a small surface scratch or two

let me know if you would like them, i assume that meeting up for these is going to be easier for shipping if you are local to bergen county, NJ
-chris
'she' replies
Quote:
Thanks for your reply concerning my enquiry. i am intereted in purchasing this great Items i just Wanna need this item .my method of payment i will send you US Postal Money Order ok? . due to some reasons Ok?What i am going to need from you is to send your Contact name and address aLong with phone number so that i can make an arrange for the payment. ok.............thanks hope to hear from ou soon and nice doing business with you N.B Since the system is still in great condition, i am willing to make an offer for an amount of $370 including packaging. It would be better for you to end the auction by taking it off Craigslist because am serious in buying this item.Thanks
that is almost more than retail. should i have this buyer do paypal? have them go away? or actually accept a shady money order????

if i get the money order and it doesnt clear then i dont ship it, that easy. unless my next email is going to be "i am going to send you seven hundred dollars from my russian account and ou can send me the product plus the difference in cash" or whatever that scam is

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
if i get the money order and it doesnt clear then i dont ship it, that easy. unless my next email is going to be "i am going to send you seven hundred dollars from my russian account and ou can send me the product plus the difference in cash" or whatever that scam is
You don't have to wait for a money order to 'clear'. It is more or less as good as them sending cash to you. If you do receive it, just cash it at the bank ASAP. If they don't send it, then you are out of luck or have to relist it, but I wouldn't send a thing until you have the MO and have it deposited safely in your account.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

ONLY use craigslist for face to face transactions in your local area. There are so many wanna be scammers on there it isn't even funny. Everytime I posted something for sale on there I would get nothing but emails from people wanting to send me a money order then have me ship it to their son going to school in South Africa or somewhere. They will always offer you more than your asking price if you will help them out, just be careful, and if its too good to be true then it probably is.
QUOTE Thanks
BiT

BiT is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz

yes, agreed, i psoted my iPod for sale on myspace classifieds (figuring there is alot of people on myspace, 70million+) and i get emails from these people saying they want my iPod for $500, and say they are on vacation in Nigeria. Scam.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

This is definitely a scam, OP. Note the elaborate yet choppy English and the amount of money offered.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
JeffreyLloyd

JeffreyLloyd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard

If you say yes, they will send you a fake money order email from USPS.com (note not .gov).

It's a scam, tell them to take a hike.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah... I got 3 of these to the only craigslist item I ever posted there...
I think it really only works well with items too unwieldly to sell/ship via ebay...
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

That has bad news written all over it.

When I was selling my 3000GT I got about 50 emails a day that looked exactly like that (poor grammar, misspellings, etc.). It got very annoying...

Good luck.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
doox00

some money orders can be cancelled like a check, its not as good as cash as someone above mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Value-added tax? | Guys, I'm making a rule for mac-users worldwide »