New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Sugestion to the powers that be,...for noob thinning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

How about forcing new account holders to search the forums when they submit a new post. It's quite a cluster when the same questions are asked over and over again. I use this forum more for helping than anything else and it's aggrivating to see the same thing over and over.

Thoughts,...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I don't know if the forum software will do that. They could perhaps make it so that new users were restricts in posting and posts required Staff review and approval before going public. That would allow them to point n00bs to the search feature but would be VERY staff intensive in a forum of this size and would require dedicated staff attention round the clock more or less. The alternative is that members point the n00bs in the right direction, as is currently done, and be patient to those who are new or less experienced, we were all a "n00b" once.

BTW, this should probably have gone in the feedback forum.

QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

We were all noobs at some point or another. Given some people tend to be better at using the search function than others, it is something you are just going to have to live with. On other forums, I can't stand the attitude by senior members towards noobs. If their posts bother you, just don't read them.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

well, I was thinking about making a good thread for all noobs to start, and I actually did....and then BOOM kernal panic, first one in monthes...anyone want to help me compile a list of gerneral questions and links?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
well, I was thinking about making a good thread for all noobs to start, and I actually did....and then BOOM kernal panic, first one in monthes...anyone want to help me compile a list of gerneral questions and links?
Well, there already are threads like that here. n00bs are gonna post their questions regardless of how many "easy answer" threads or search buttons are on the forum. Stickies and "how to" threads are virtually pointless as very few people actually take the time to read them.

Such is the life of being a forum member on the internet.

I will admit, it is tiresome to see the same questions asked ad naseum, but then again, if its something that has been posted again and again... I just don't reply to them. If I bother to post anything in a thread like that, its a simple link to the search page.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

there are also forum noobs who dont know about search features and how annoying it is for us to read and then post in each thread teh same thing over and over....

also there was an animated gif on an old forum i used to be on which was a picture of the main forum page, a mouse moving towards to search function, opening the search function and then typing in USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION in the search box....it was quite hilarious if someone wants to get on that....i have no clue how to do an animated gif
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

what annoys me more than the same questions over and over again is the threads with vague titles such as "Noob questions" or "Switcher needs help". im more motivated to read/respond to a thread if i have an idea of what its about. this would also help those who actually do use the search. When i search for something, all i get is a list of threads with the same "noob needs help" title, the last thing i want to do is search through 50 threads just to find one that actually has to do with what i am searching when all i should have to look at is the title

not to mention i think the Similar Threads thing at the bottom of most threads goes off of title, not content.
QUOTE Thanks
daz087

daz087 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)

So when do I officially lose noob status? lol, but seriously, some of us "noobs" do use the search function, and some (like me) do know a thing or two already and are not just joining to look for help. I joined to get answers, but even more so to help others and learn.

Restricting posting for noobs would just make a big hassle for us. Maybe there could be an official "noob thread" or "noob section"? There may be just as many similar posts, but it would help contain them all at least... just an idea...

- Z

Check out World of Apple for Apple news, reviews, giveaways, and more!
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

Whoa.. to much usage of the word "noob".. so ill be refering to it as N
I believe you lose the N status when you know enough about the mac and the basics on things. play around with it, don't go for every detail and ask if its possible (unless your desperate and want it confirmed it can/'t be done.

As for restricting, i dont think it would be restricted.

I said a suggestion on the irc chat (but no one cared.. or listened...) that new members should have their posts forwarded to a super stripped (of power) trusted member (meaning, helps constantly, is helpful, has been here awhile, willing to give their time) who will read the topic post then decide if it should go through, or decline it for a certain reason like, "This has already been discussed. -Link To topic- . Please use the search function in the future before attempting to post." Or change the topic title to something appropriate (Ex, "Help, Noob on fire" to "Can't figure how to network"). etc. etc. etc.
This would clear up some usual threads.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
I just don't reply to them. If I bother to post anything in a thread like that, its a simple link to the search page.
That could be it,....!!!

Perhaps a query for content and a "this helped others" link of some sort.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork
How about forcing new account holders to search the forums when they submit a new post. It's quite a cluster when the same questions are asked over and over again. I use this forum more for helping than anything else and it's aggrivating to see the same thing over and over.

Thoughts,...
Speaking of threads that have been started before...

Its really impossible to avoid this. We live in a live board where the same questions need to be answered and there is really nothing we can do about it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can I simply put the display to sleep but not the computer itself? | Way to go Trek »