New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Here is my question?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Does anyone make a notebook PC that has a hot swappable battery, ie you put your notebook to sleep, then have say 30-45 seconds to swap out the battery with a fully charged one. If no one has one of these then why not, is it that difficult to do?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

that would be tough... good idea though.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambug
Does anyone make a notebook PC that has a hot swappable battery, ie you put your notebook to sleep, then have say 30-45 seconds to swap out the battery with a fully charged one. If no one has one of these then why not, is it that difficult to do?
The G3 Powerbook 'Pismo' (aka the last black powerbook) had this feature. It also had a drive bay that could accept a second battery. crazy battery life those things. The way they do the hot swap thing is just to have a more powerful PRAM battery than what is strictly necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelm007
The G3 Powerbook 'Pismo' (aka the last black powerbook) had this feature. It also had a drive bay that could accept a second battery. crazy battery life those things. The way they do the hot swap thing is just to have a more powerful PRAM battery than what is strictly necessary.
Any idea why they didn't continue this with the new PowerBooks/MacBooks?
QUOTE Thanks
lil

The Dell's did (The D600 and D610 definitely did). I believe the PowerBook G4 Titaniums did too. Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Yes, the PowerBook G3 series could swap a battery while in sleep mode, but by definition that is not "hot-swapping". "Hot-swapping" happens while the computer is up and running and active... not in sleep mode. You could exchange the drive bays while the computer was running, but not the battery. If you only had one battery and tried to hot-swap it without shutting the comptuer down or putting it to sleep, you would simply cut the primary power source and shut down the computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple's Support Site
Question 10: Are the PowerBook G3 Series computer's batteries hot-swappable?

Answer: If the system is connected to AC power or operating with two batteries, then the batteries can be hot swapped. When using a single battery, the battery should be swapped only when the system is in sleep mode or shut down. Otherwise, the system will crash because you have removed the primary power source.
link

So yes, according to your explaination, it was able to be done. Just realize that it is not technically hot-swapping if you do that. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

If I put my PowerBook in sleep mode it'll let me swap the battery out for a fresh one.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Yes, the PowerBook G3 series could swap a battery while in sleep mode, but by definition that is not "hot-swapping". "Hot-swapping" happens while the computer is up and running and active... not in sleep mode. You could exchange the drive bays while the computer was running, but not the battery. If you only had one battery and tried to hot-swap it without shutting the comptuer down or putting it to sleep, you would simply cut the primary power source and shut down the computer.
link

So yes, according to your explaination, it was able to be done. Just realize that it is not technically hot-swapping if you do that. :black:
The Pismo battery (though not the "G3 series"{wallstreets?}) was literaly hot swapable if you take the battery out the battery icon changes and if you don't change the battery in ~20 seconds it puts itself to sleep, but if you DO put the fresh battery in it just keeps on chugging. No sleeping. No down time. Just awsomeness. Its one of the reasons I still use mine.

Edit: oops! that was incorrect. I do have to put it to sleep first. maybe it was my powerbook 3400 that did that or maybe it only worked in OS 9, but I know I have hotswapped a battery on a mac OS laptop in the not too distant past. [Scratches head] now where did I leave that geritol. [shuffles off to ask the nurse when lunch is]
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
If I put my PowerBook in sleep mode it'll let me swap the battery out for a fresh one.
Help me out here, I have a PowerBook G4 15 inch, are you saying that if I put it in sleep mode I can chage batteries?
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

isn't there some deep sleep mode enabled on newer powerbooks?

and if it doesn't, wouldn't this work?

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive...leep-your-mac/
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelm007
I know I have hotswapped a battery on a mac OS laptop in the not too distant past.
I would have to disagree. It is more likely that your memory is just a little hazy. :black:
Simply put, no laptop has ever been able to hot-swap a battery if the battery is the only source powering the laptop. Look at it this way... if you were on a call with your cell phone and the battery was about to die, you could not change out your battery whilst on your call and not have the call drop. You would have to end your call, power down the phone, change the battery and then resume your call. Laptops function under the same principle. You cannot have your laptop currently active and running and change out the battery if it is the primary power source. You have to at least partially power it down (put it to sleep) before you can change out the battery. I am sure that sometime computer manufacturers will come up with some super-powerful CMOS battery that will power your laptop for say, five minutes with no external AC or battery, like some sort of internal emergency backup power source. This would allow you to save your work or change out the battery without putting the laptop to sleep, but for now it neither exists nor has it ever to my knowledge. Heck, with my old PowerBook 1400cs, you even had to sleep the computer to change out expansion bays as they weren't even hot-swappable on that model.
In short, you cannot cut the power to something that is active and expect it to continue running at full steam.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Help me out here, I have a PowerBook G4 15 inch, are you saying that if I put it in sleep mode I can chage batteries?
Thats exactly what he is saying.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Its called Safe Sleep and its available on the MacBook Pro. It was also on the 15 and 17 PB. Here is a list of Unsupported Models.
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

my 12" PB G4 lets me do this (1.5gig)
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmaccoll
my 12" PB G4 lets me do this (1.5gig)
Alex
That would be 1.5Ghz?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Riddle: Printing from iMAC through Printserver... | VNC with Apple Remote Desktop »