New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

One of my Most Frustrating Windows Gripes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

And, one more reason to feel certain the replacement for my XP MCE PC will be another Mac:

For those of you that use both Windows and the Mac OS, if you watch DVD's on your Windows machine(s), have you noticed that regardless of the app DVD's are played with in Windows (PowerDVD, WMP, Nero Showtime), the DVD audio level is always dramatically lower than any other audio source in Windows? This seems to be a very common "That's just the way it is" issue, and I have yet to find a solution (if there is one). If anyone does know a workaround/fix for this, I'd be most grateful, but I believe there's no fix/solution. OTOH, DVD's played in OS X, sound just as loud and clear as any other source. Setting my master volume in Windows to 100%, just to hear a DVD properly, only to blasted out of my chair by the notification sound of an incoming e-mail, is really annoying. So, there ya go. One more not often mentioned, but good reason to stick with a Mac.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Windows plays DVDs?!

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

Limited edition versions!
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

You need to install a decoder of some kind before Windows plays DVDs.

Or, after you install another kind of DVD player software (like Cyberlink PowerDVD), Windows uses the decoder that it installs.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I have noticed this problem on both windows and Macs, so I attribute it to the DVDs. My iBook and my POS Dell laptop play DVDs at the close to, or the same sound level from what I can tell.

QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
I have noticed this problem on both windows and Macs, so I attribute it to the DVDs. My iBook and my POS Dell laptop play DVDs at the close to, or the same sound level from what I can tell.
That's interesting. I do notice variations between DVDs to be sure, but as just one exampe:

The Corrs - Live at Lansdowne Road
The audio level is dramatically lower on my Windows machine when compared with any other audio source level. On my Mac mini, the very same DVD plays at a volume level almost identical to any other audio source. If I were to push the volume to max on the mini, I'd be shot across the room.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

Have you gone into your control panel and checked your sound settings there? You should have a set of adjustable sliders for different sound levels as your optical drive has its own sound cable going to your sound card. This level should be adjustable and is different from your regular PC speakers. I just got a MCE Dell box but haven't tried playing any DVD's yet as I don't use my desktop for that. My old PC laptop never had a sound difference between playing DVD's and anything else. Check that setting and let me know what you find, it just sounds like something isn't set right.
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by techster82
Have you gone into your control panel and checked your sound settings there? You should have a set of adjustable sliders for different sound levels as your optical drive has its own sound cable going to your sound card. This level should be adjustable and is different from your regular PC speakers. I just got a MCE Dell box but haven't tried playing any DVD's yet as I don't use my desktop for that. My old PC laptop never had a sound difference between playing DVD's and anything else. Check that setting and let me know what you find, it just sounds like something isn't set right.
Each optical drive is connected only via the IDE/digital cable and both drives are configured to play digital audio. I believe that if I were to connect the audio cable from the DVD drive, that might resolve it, but it would be analog output, and only two channels (defeating many of the features associated with digital audio).

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What I have noticed as well as everyone I am friends with is that Laptops seem quite low when playing DVD's with everything maxed. My iBook when playing DVD's might be a hair louder, but the 12" ibook's audio is not that loud with any source to begin with.

Most people I know though do notice that DVD's audio is down a bit compaired to other sources.
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

I notice too that DVD audio seems to bypass any software equalization (on Windows machines) that other audio does pass through. For example, when playing a DVD in WMP, the EQ functionality is disabled. Likewise in other DVD playing apps, I don't recall seeing audio EQ functionality. Anyway, no such problem exists for me with the Mac.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Me Decide Please! | digital slr or intel imac? »