New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

digital slr or intel imac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

hey there,

i am into photography and would like a dslr camera a canon 350d maybe.

but i am also in love with my 12" ibook g4 (upgraded specs).

i would like to get an imac but i would like to get a dslr as well!.

so which one should i go with?

i would like a desktop mac thats more power than my ibook g4.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Come on, your British!

Get a loan a get both, obviously!

Seriously though, I'd go for the iMac, simply because it's something you'd most likely enjoy every day....
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough

lol, sorry i cant, i am a student!

thanks for the tip
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Yeha go for the iMac.
I mean depending on how heavily you are in to your photography, you're likely to get more use out of the iMac on a day to day basis......Plus, they rock
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

get the camera so you can start shooting pictures...yes putting them on your computer might be a little slow and editing them as well but you'd be able to upgrade your computer later and then move all your stuff over.

if you get the imac first and the camera second you wont have any pictures taken
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
christm

ok thanks for your replies - keep them coming as i need an overal opinion
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

I was in the same dilemma, and ended up just going with a very nice point and shoot for the time being, and using the rest of the money for a new desktop. The only thing that is holding me off from getting a DSLR at this point is all the extras you will need. I am a student as well and have to manage my cash flow. I started adding up the costs of the lenses I wanted, memory cards, filters, flash, etc. and it suddenly became a chunk of change. It's your choice, but like my grandmother always says, "When in doubt don't do anything at all."
QUOTE Thanks
christm

ok thankyou. i have until beggining of august so we'll see.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

DSLR for me, you can atleast go and get creative with the camera.

Ive got the 350d and a 1Ghz PB with 768Mb of ram now while managing the raw files can be slow its not unbearable. Plus its not like you have an old aging machine now is it

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
Corrosive

Corrosive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina

I would say camera. You already have a mac to work with... but not an SLR. WIth the Imac, you will not have anything to do that you cant alread do.....
-Mike
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

Get the Camera...the ibook can handle pictures fine....besides the Camera is way more fun.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I am going to agree with the last 3 or 4 folks here... get the camera.
There is no reason why your iBook wouldn't be able to handle what you plan on doing.
Heck, I used to run Garageband on a 400Mhz G3 iMac. Was it as fast as it is on my PowerBook?... of course not. Still it was able to handle it just fine. And if I could do that, then there is no reason a G4 iBook wouldn't work for you.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Also if you get a 350D you can shoot either in RAW or JPEG format. If you are only going to be doing small prints and web use then I would suggest that you shoot JPEG. That way the computer will handle the files easier. Less memory hungry.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

ok thankyou - i think i will go with the dslr camera.

how do you like your 350d?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

I love it! some people say that it feels too small compared to the others in the range and the battery grip offers a little something to help that personally i like the fact that its not as big as the rest of the range and its not like i have small hands either.

The only thing i dont like about it is that i could get so carried away with buying stuff for it! Only other thing to complain about is not having enough time to go out and be creative with it. Seriously though the only complaint i have personally with it is that the bundled software is a total waste of time now for OSX and doesnt do half the stuff it claims to.

Example shooting in RAW and want to stitch two shot togeather, i thought fine ill use the supplied photo stitch but it only works with tiff and jpeg's. Now I have CS2 its not a problem but would have been nice to be able to use that rather than having to use PS all the time

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« One of my Most Frustrating Windows Gripes | How long till a computer becomes outdated? »