Thread: Mac Mods

Specs:
    13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
    Mac Mods
    Ive been wanting to under take some sort of mac modification for some time now. Browsing the internet I found a few mac se/mac mini mods and one mac se/cube mod that was quite impressive. The reason listed for going with the mac se amongst the large selection of classic macs was the ease of converting for a slot loaded disc drive. These mods are very cool and i was considering this type for myself but decided against it since a: its been done(alot) and b:try finding a 8.4'' - 10.4'' lcd that youre not sure will even work.

Then it dawned on me
    Bondi Blue iMac a classic right. (and cheap on ebay)
    now imagine a bondi imac with a core duo mini and an apple 15' studio display .
    should work right, I think so. With plenty of room left for more drives perhaps an eyeTV built in. Id like to keep the imac's built in audio either with soldering magic or the usb harmon kadon speakers which should fit in that area. I would also like to align the ports with the original imac access as with the ram. Move the power switch and infrared to the front of the imac and modify the original tray load bezel to slot load, idealy by keeping the bezel in front of the slot load drive as an automatic door (like some car cd players) naturally this means that the mini will be completly disassembled.
    it will be an undertaking and wont probably done till this time next year but i am intent on completing this mod. and will post when i come up with more.

in the mean time who knows how to take apart an apple studio display. :mac:

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    That'd be a cool project! serpent and I have been working on adding internal drives to the Intel Mini. So far we're up to three - 1 SATA and 2 ATA. We're not sure if the SATA bus supports more than one drive yet. You could improve the iMac by adding a slotload DVD burner (Newegg, $90) and add some power to the Intel Mini (2ghz Core Duo, $400; 2gb OWC ram, $230; Raptor 150 hard drive, $275). Add in your LCD display and voila, powerhouse

Specs:
    Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
    Sounds like a cool project.. Just make sure you add enough fans to the case, so the intel mac mini doesn't burn up

Also, Im not sure if the studio display will fit in exactly snug, becuase the imac's CDT screen is not flat, it has a curve in it.. You may have to do a little case sanding to make it work.. Other than that, It really sounds like a cool project... Show us some pics if you start working on it!
    Report offensive posts
    Don't forget to use the rep system!

Specs:
    13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
    If you have a 15' studio connected to your mac does system preferences>displays have the geometry option. My 600 mhz iMac does, my iBook does not. if it does then it cuts out sanding because i can readjust the displays hieght and width.

Thread Information