New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

OS X habits on a Windows machine.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kokopelli

I am a multi OS kind of guy as I suppose most of the regular members here know. I have Windows, Linux, and OS X desktops that I use daily.

On the Mac I use <cmd><key> commands a lot. On linux I have gone as far as mapping the commands as closely as I could in FVWM. And for the last year I have had no problems switching between the three.

I just received a Thinkpad X63S laptop and am in the middle of a major project that requires me to use Windows more than normal. I am noticing that I am having a hard time with "muscle memory." It has gotten instinctive for me to use <cmd>w, q, and m in particular as well as tapping <ctrl> to pull up a non existant QuickSilver. This is the first time I ever had any problem switching between OSes that I can recall.

So my question after the long windup... What habits do you have from OS X which do not work when you are on Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The main problem for me if I am in a hurry is remembering to use CTRL instead of Command when in XP. Every once in a while I mess up and hit the ALT key then realize very fast my mistake. Otherwise I can go between XP and OSX with little problem.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
The main problem for me if I am in a hurry is remembering to use CTRL instead of Command when in XP. Every once in a while I mess up and hit the ALT key then realize very fast my mistake. Otherwise I can go between XP and OSX with little problem.
I have the same problem, I'm used to hitting control instead of command. But, I got used to it after a few hours.

The weird thing is, it's almost as if windows keyboards and OS X keyboards are totally different... When I'm in OS X, I can use command comfortably, and in Windows I can use Control comfortably.

Now that my copy of XP is coming in on Wednesday, I'm interested to see how I can go back from XP to OS X quickly... heheheh

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

I love Expose. I have my scroll wheel mouse button set to trigger Expose at home. At work on my Windows box I have have at least 8 open windows I'm working with. I often catch myself pressing down the scroll wheel on my mouse in the hopes that something amazing will happen.

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
mblphnlvr

mblphnlvr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear
I love Expose. I have my scroll wheel mouse button set to trigger Expose at home. At work on my Windows box I have have at least 8 open windows I'm working with. I often catch myself pressing down the scroll wheel on my mouse in the hopes that something amazing will happen.
This is my problem. I move my mouse to the top left corner to expose all the windows. Everytime i'm using windows, I try this and it's really dissapointing. This is really my favorite feature to drag files between open windows.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I tend to keep squeezing my mouse at the XP machine because I need exposé .I live on exposé. And maximized windows suck.

I also live on Command-Space for Spotlight. I use it to launch Apps. On XP if a certain App isn't in the start menu, you're pretty much fu.. screwed up.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Not having Expose in Windows is the real killer for me too... I go back and forth between PC and Mac enough that I usually can keep my hotkeys pretty straight.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

I'm exactly the same with <command> <key> shortcuts, I use them all the time. In fact I use every shortcut I possibly can, all the time

But when I head over to my Windows boxes I always go straight for the command key and then realise I need to use CTRL lol

Otherwise I don't think there are that many bad habits yet for me, but you always miss Dashboard ^_^
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

On windows mouses, I have the same exposé problems...

Oh, and also spanish keys like alt+1+6+8 gives you the upside down question mark

And can't forget the three buttons for minimize, close, and expand. In windows now I keep going for the upper-left hand corner of the screen, and instead I find that they're on the other side of the screen in the upper-right hand corner.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

not having expose really does suck. I also hate not being able to do the commands. another minor problem is how it seems that all new windows computers come preloaded with so much software.....i hate having to delete all the garbage on it.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

oh, and uninstalling on windows... first you have to go into your control panel, then waiting for the list to populate, then the actual uninstall process takes another two hours...

Don't get me wrong, I love Windows, I just love OS X better.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
lil

One of the annoying habits I have with Mac OS X is being calm and collected.

I always end up trying to do the same with Windows but usually end up walking off red faced and 10 paces back from where I started.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Expose and the desktop expose are the two that I constantly find myself doing time after time. For those that don't, they have to get a Mac.

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
SilverEagle5

SilverEagle5 has a spectacular aura about

I just got my iBook on Friday, and one thing that bothers the heck out of me about the thing is not having a taskbar, especially using iChat. Thank God my friend told me about Adium, because I like it a lot more. That's the only thing I have to say right now...lol
QUOTE Thanks
mdavis71

mdavis71 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook

no matter how many times I use the "Ctrl W" command it will not close that window in windows lol.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imaging 2 Partitions | Spreadsheet for Intel Mac? »