New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

::Genetics::

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Alright guys, we have all heard the myth that hair genes come from your mother, or atleast the part that determines hair loss.

What do you guys think. Do you think that it is all from mother? or from both, like would logically make sense, considering I do not think its from a sex gene..
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Suffering from hair-loss are we?

QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

I thought it was a combination of both side of the family??

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
SilverEagle5

SilverEagle5 has a spectacular aura about

My grandfather on my dad's side isn't completely bald, but bald enough. My dad and his older brother, although gray early, still have their hair, but my dad's younger brother starting going bald, so he shaved his hair all off. So yeah... I doubt it's genetic.

edit: By genetic, I meant I doubt that it's from one side exclusively.
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Well from what i've heard, the gene for male pattern baldness is carried on the X chromosome. Men have an X and Y chromosome and women have two X chromosomes, therefore you get the Y from your dad and the X from your mom. This means that you do in fact get the baldness gene from your mother, and also explains why most women dont go bald. The fact that they have two X chromosomes means that they have a 'spare', the X chromosome without the baldness gene will prevent them from going bald.

Just a little note, this is what i got out of my high school biology class which was about 4 years ago so I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject.
QUOTE Thanks
SilverEagle5

SilverEagle5 has a spectacular aura about

That does make a lot of sense. I remember talking about the same thing, only with being colorblind.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Looks like someone need to start looking at hats. I suggest a Godfather if you are dressed up and a Porkpie if you are dressy causal. :p

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of

nahh, I am not going bald, yet. I still have all my hair. It is something I have not thought about until I noticed my buddy is starting to lose his hair. I was just curious at this point, if I do start to notice hair loss, I will just invest in some dht blockers which will slow the process down or stop it.

I guess now I have to wonder if I got the good X or the bad X from my mother so far I think its the good one
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

I think its the mother's fault. Heck, I am 24 years old and just realized I am color blind last week. My girlfriend always made fun of me when we were in the paint store trying to pick out colors for our house. Reading up on it, its my mother's fault that I suffer from this. I guess I have to face the fact that I am a disabled American.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

this all seems pretty much settled

buy your friends on of these:

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

I have never had this many conversations with my buddies about genetics before. I probably should have remembered this, but I thought I was taught that you can only ahve 50% the same genes as your siblings if non twin...
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

What color is that hat?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

lol sorry man...baby blue

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

I think he was kidding, considering it would be really rare to be blue yellow color blind, hes probably "just" Red Green :biohazard
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Thought I'd drop in... The post above about the gene being carried on the X chromosome, etc, describes a theory that was believed to be true until recently. The theory was actual described from studies done almost 100 years ago.

Modern research has determined that hair loss certainly may be genetic, but it most likely a complex set of several genes, rather than getting a single one from here or there. Simply put however, modern research hasn't figured out how the heck hair loss works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sony ericsson help | A quick question about displays »