New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Want a new Mac every 2 years?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

I just posted this over on the Anandtech forums:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

Quote:
Can you spare $20 a week?

If you can spare $20 a week, you can have yourself a new computer every two years. It's easy, and you don't even have to worry about putting it away for savings in your bank account. Here are the steps:

1. Open an ING Savings account
2. Set the account to pull $20 from your bank account every week
3. Wait 2 years
4. Profit!

Haha, in all seriousness, it's pretty easy to do. I have a really difficult time saving...it's like cookies: if they're there, I'll eat them. So I put the $$ out of sight, out of mind. It's a lot of work to withdraw the money from ING compared to driving to the nearest ATM and pulling it out. There are 52 weeks a year, 104 weeks in 2 years. 104 weeks times $20 a week = $2,080. You can build a pretty nice computer for $2,000, like the one I'm working on right now. Plus you'll get like $70 or so from the interest over that time period (currently at 4%). $20 is pretty easy to save, even when you're working hourly like I am. It's a lot easier to give up $20 a week than $2,000 all at once, know what I mean?

I'm starting Monday. Anyone with me?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Glad you did not post "a Mac a year" over on Anandtech! You would have been bashed to bits!! Funny even Anand loves his Macs, but there are users there who bash him everytime he says anything positive about Apple.

Great plan you have though!! Looks like it would work.
QUOTE Thanks
aantoine90

aantoine90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Glad you did not post "a Mac a year" over on Anandtech! You would have been bashed to bits!! Funny even Anand loves his Macs, but there are users there who bash him everytime he says anything positive about Apple.

Great plan you have though!! Looks like it would work.
I think it is a good plan too. Does anyone else find it annoying that 'Apple' and 'Macs' are so bad, but an 'iPod' is AMAZING! If you do't have an ipod for an MP3 player and you have a different brand you are 'weird' but if you have a Mac you are 'weird'?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i wish i could spare 20 bucks a week

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

I hear that one!!

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

Has anyone tried ING direct? I recently opened an HSBC direct savings account that offered a promotional 4.80% APY but I don't like it too much so far compared to my Bank of America account which has better web service but craptastic interest rates. Emigrant Direct offers a non-promotional 4.50% APY and Capital One does 4.25% APY.

I would appreciate it if anyone had some suggestions about their favorite online savings places. I do $60 per paycheck direct deposit into savings, but I don't even know what account number I have at HSBC to change my DD election.

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
slyydrr

slyydrr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM

I've been with ING for over a year now... they're great.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

If only I could make use of my HSBC account's Mini ISA...

One day, One day!

(Apple ****it, don't release anything new for my balance's sakes!)

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudius753
Has anyone tried ING direct? I recently opened an HSBC direct savings account that offered a promotional 4.80% APY but I don't like it too much so far compared to my Bank of America account which has better web service but craptastic interest rates. Emigrant Direct offers a non-promotional 4.50% APY and Capital One does 4.25% APY.
I've been using ING Direct since January of 2002 and I really love them. I've also convinced about 7 others to switch to them over the years and they also really like ING. Outstanding customer service, very easy to use and efficient website, always good interest rates.

I looked at HSBC but I wasn't impressed. There are a lot of "me too" banks recently trying to copy what ING Direct has been doing for years and they're nothing but bad copies of the original.

If it helps, I know many, many, many people who have an ING account and none of them has ever had anything bad to say other than "I wish they offered checking so I could switch completely". But their emphasis is savings and they do it very well.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudius753

I would appreciate it if anyone had some suggestions about their favorite online savings places. I do $60 per paycheck direct deposit into savings, but I don't even know what account number I have at HSBC to change my DD election.
Yeah I've been with them about a year, very easy to setup, made a few bucks in interest already too Definately no complaints here!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac
Yeah I've been with them about a year, very easy to setup, made a few bucks in interest already too Definately no complaints here!
Yeah, I just looked at my March statement and I can't believe I've made almost $2000 in interest since I've been with them. It's easy to just stick your money in there and forget about it until you need it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple's sense of Humor | Not everything goes in Anything goes. »