New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Ever found anything strange inside your computer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CharlesP2001

I was just talking with some people about strange foreign objects we've found inside of computers over the years.

At my high school students would frequently stuff rubber bands, paper clips, breath mints, and lots of other garbage inside the CD-ROM and floppy drives of the computers.

I once bought an iMac G3 off of eBay and when I opened it to put a bigger hard drive in it I found a screw driver stuck under the logic board.

And someone's niece once put a peanut butter and jelly sandwich inside the tape drive of a Commodore 64. Oh boy!
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

a spider crawled out of my imac yesterday after i started using it.. probably got to warm (if they can feel warmth)
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i hear that people are finding intel chips nowadays, weird!!!! just kidding

ive only found dust, but i wouldnt mind finding a pb&j sandwich right now, im hungry!
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Surely not one that has been around for a while though......
QUOTE Thanks
bfx

A few years ago a friend bought a computer at an estate sale condition unknown (it had been stored in a detached garage).

It wouldn't boot up so he calls me over to take a look, mainly to see if there was anything salvageable inside.

Popped the side panel off - found a mouse family and nest. Mama, papa and three small ones. They'd chewed throgh the hd drive ribbon cable (and a few other things) enough to keep it from booting.

Mouse family was transplanted to a mouse habitat at a local zoo. The computer was disassembled, cleaned, reassmbled, cables replaced (cost more than he paid for it), my friend ended up with a dual Pentium 3 Xeon system for under $50 and everyone was happy.

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

I remember seeing a snake inside a PSU on the web:

http://www.insectimage.com/Gallery%2017/snakecomp1.html

http://www.insectimage.com/Gallery%2017/snakecomp2.html

http://www.insectimage.com/Gallery%2017/snakecomp3.html

Willies, anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
edge

This isn't so much a foriegn object, but it is funny. Skid (member) and I were working on this computer. It wouldn't power on. So we busted it open, and the power supply looked pretty dirty (slots covered, etc -- the usual). So we tore the PSU out, and opened it up to give it a good cleaning. When we got it open, we discovered that it was completely caked, and I mean to the BRIM, with dust, lint, cigarette ash, etc. A simple can of air could not have done the job alone. We had to vacuum it out.

Once it was all clean, we hooked it back up, and it worked like a charm.

I've also found everything from tools, to food, to various parts just laying inside cases. I've also seen people try to use credit cards in their floppy drives.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

My Dad and uncle own a law firm together. A year or so ago, the lease on their offices were up, and since the building was becoming the kind of place you don't want to be period, much less for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

So I'm helping him move stuff and we stumble on some old computers. I took them home and decided to pry them open and see if any of them could even boot. Well, one of them had a bunch of files from an old case that my Dad thought were gone.

Ironically, this was around the time of the Michael Jackson trial, and who had he represented in the case? A guy named Michael Jackson (no relation). Apparently, his old secretary used her computer to literally hold files!

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

supposedly, computer "bugs" got their name because during the first bug, a moth just happened to be stuck under the screen. So it was literally, a computer bug. I wanna say this is was Hawaii... but yeah.

Again, more random useless info that I know of.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
bfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
supposedly, computer "bugs" got their name because during the first bug, a moth just happened to be stuck under the screen. So it was literally, a computer bug. I wanna say this is was Hawaii... but yeah.

Again, more random useless info that I know of.
Think the 'computer bug' term goes further back than that - all the way to the days of relay logic .... no i.c.'s ..... no cpus .... no vid even.

Seems roaches and ants liked the insides of those systems - they often filled several floors.

Anyway - they'd get on the relay contacts - the contacts wouldn't connect - calculations turned out wrong - computer bug.

Or so the story goes.

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
Skid

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge
This isn't so much a foriegn object, but it is funny. Skid (member) and I were working on this computer. It wouldn't power on. So we busted it open, and the power supply looked pretty dirty (slots covered, etc -- the usual). So we tore the PSU out, and opened it up to give it a good cleaning. When we got it open, we discovered that it was completely caked, and I mean to the BRIM, with dust, lint, cigarette ash, etc. A simple can of air could not have done the job alone. We had to vacuum it out.

Once it was all clean, we hooked it back up, and it worked like a charm.

I've also found everything from tools, to food, to various parts just laying inside cases. I've also seen people try to use credit cards in their floppy drives.
ROCK ON edge ah the good old days

i have seen a mouse in th computer at a sterio shope this mouse would go inside the computer to sleep everynight and he used to get in he drawer where we keep the katchup and took about 7 katchup packets through thePCI slot i gues he musta layed on them to sleep or something
QUOTE Thanks
CharlesP2001

How'd the mice get in and out? Missing a drive cover or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfx
Popped the side panel off - found a mouse family and nest. Mama, papa and three small ones. They'd chewed throgh the hd drive ribbon cable (and a few other things) enough to keep it from booting.
bfx
QUOTE Thanks
bfx

Best we could figure was they squeezed thru a fan - one was missing the finger guard.

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
Skid

in my case we had a PCI slot cover missing and he squeezed through there with his katchup
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

When I was younger and had no money for fancy up-to-date computers I pulled a Tandy 386 out of a boneyard pile of old computer parts at my church and beat it back into working condition. Found a spider's nest inside an empty drive bay. I installed a 5.25" floppy drive in that same drive bay (WEIRD, huh?) In that same computer used a piece of foil to complete a connection between one of the SIMMs and the socket so it could have a whopping 14 MB of RAM. I used it till my Mom GAVE me her old Powerbook 180. As far as I know it's still in my parents' attic.

Ahh I miss the good old days... wait, no I don't!

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel | Open iMac »