New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

swflash.cab error

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

osvoldk

osvoldk is on a distinguished road

I know that this is Mac Forums and not Windows Forums, however, I have seen to run in with a problem that I don't know how to solve. So my mother calls me up and wonders if I installed anything like swflash.cab, I told her that I didn't install anything with that file extension. She said that when she uses AOL, she will attempt to play the crossword puzzle games online, or there are times in which she is attempting to open a link on the new page that comes on when she logs in to AOL. The page will not load in either case, and a message comes up saying that windows will not allow this software, namely swflash.cab, because of the publisher is unknown. On her end, she attempted to figure out where the file extension was, and originally found traces of it Yahoo messenger. On my end, I began researching different sites, but to no gain, for I found that they were naming the extension as part of the directory, and nothing immediately about the problem at hand. I am not too familiar with AOL, so I questioned her if there was some kind of preferences or options in which we could allow this software. She could not find it. So I move to the next possible thing, maybe an update, no that doesn't work, because the publisher is still unknown. Any suggestions?

I will not run five kilometers with water.
Yo no correré cinco kilómetros con el agua.
Ich will nicht mit das Wasser fünf kilometer laufen.
QUOTE Thanks
bfx

swflash.cab is normally a Macromedia Shockwave Flash file.

Far as AOL goes - I avoid them like the plague so I can't help you there.

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I had this problem once all I did was uninstall then reinstall, worked like a charm.

Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com
QUOTE Thanks
osvoldk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfx
swflash.cab is normally a Macromedia Shockwave Flash file.

Far as AOL goes - I avoid them like the plague so I can't help you there.

bfx
I am fully aware that "swflash.cab" is a Macromedia Shockwave file. As I said in my first post, I want to know how to fix it in AOL. I do not need a lecture, as the problem is not my computer, and my friend has an understanding of Windows that far surpasses that of most of the people in these forums. If you would have read my first pots, you would have realized that which I need help with, not what the file IS, and if you would have ACTUALLY READ MY POST YOU WOULD KNOW THIS.

QUOTE Thanks
bfx

Such a friendly chap.

Good luck. :smile:

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
osvoldk

It has nothing to do with me being friendly or not, but rather it has something to do with your apparent presumption that I didn't know where the file itself came from. It would be like telling me that iTunes.app is an application, there is nothing for you to gain in stating the obvious. Anyone with any knowledge about software programs will understand, at least to some extent, that the file uses a flash program, and then could imply that the 'sw' in front means shockwave, and then could say that it is made by Macromedia. Had I wanted to know what the file was, or what it meant, the thread would have been about that. Instead I asked (like I made very obvious) how to correct the problem. Now if there is anything that you would like to inform me of, that has some relevance, I would be attentive at listening, but if it is going to be some sarcastic remark of one sort or another, I would prefer to not hear it, because it is drawing away my attention from learning something beneficial. The main problem that I had was the fact that your post was not benefical at all, in fact, it just took up web space.

QUOTE Thanks
osvoldk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabjabs
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I had this problem once all I did was uninstall then reinstall, worked like a charm.

Which version did you reinstall then, a newer one, or just the same one just reinstalled?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« backing up bookmarks | Good deal on a monitor for your Mini »