New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Catagorize these titles......PLEASE!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maccccman

maccccman is on a distinguished road

Can anyone please help me with sorting my DVD list by TITLE only. I have catagorized my titles with numbers and titles, but need to alphabetize just the titles. My list is like this:
1. The Alamo
2. A River Runs Through It
3. One Flew Over The Cookoos Nest etc.

I Need to get program that alphabetizes with out the number involved. Help me make finding my titles easier that having to scroll through hundreds of numbers to get to a title. I would like to be able to scroll alphebetically. Please if anyone knows of one, can you help me out? PLEASE and THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

hello , what app are you currently using that is adding these numbers?
Delicious Library may work for you, though it is not free. there's CD/DVD Library, also not free, or DVd Shelf X
QUOTE Thanks
maccccman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
hello , what app are you currently using that is adding these numbers?
Delicious Library may work for you, though it is not free. there's CD/DVD Library, also not free, or DVd Shelf X

I am currently running Appleworks and just filling in all the numbers and titles. I know that Word (as well as others i'm sure) auto-fills the numbers, but currently I only own appleworks and was trying to get away with a free program if possible. Will the programs you mention alphabetize the titles then? I am looking for something that would do this :

Change 1. Memphis Belle
2. One Flew Over The Cookoos Nest
3. A River runs Through It

To This: 3. A River Runs Through It
1. Memphis Belle

I don't care how the number part of it ends up. That's just to find it in the book. I just want to be able to pick a title, look it up alphabetically, then find it with the co-insiding number that lies in front of the title. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

how about moving it to a spreadsheet?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccccman
I am currently running Appleworks and just filling in all the numbers and titles. I know that Word (as well as others i'm sure) auto-fills the numbers, but currently I only own appleworks and was trying to get away with a free program if possible. Will the programs you mention alphabetize the titles then? I am looking for something that would do this :

Change 1. Memphis Belle
3. A River runs Through It

To This: 3. A River Runs Through It
1. Memphis Belle

I don't care how the number part of it ends up. That's just to find it in the book. I just want to be able to pick a title, look it up alphabetically, then find it with the co-insiding number that lies in front of the title. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
OMG, I just tried delicious library, its GREAT. I type in a dvd name, it gives me a list of possibilities, I click one, it adds the art, all the info, and has a small thumbnail. I like this, I have like 200 dvd's, it will categorize by name in list view, which can transfer to case view, it is so good, even list view shows the dvd thumbnail, I'll post a screenshot of a few dvd's I'll add as an example in both shelf and list views.
list view:

dvd view:
QUOTE Thanks
maccccman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
how about moving it to a spreadsheet?

The thing is, these titles are already numbered 1-764. I just need a program I can paste these titles into and it will alphabetize the titles with out disrupting the numbers that lie before the titles. That is how I find where they are in the DVD books I have.

1. A step beyond
32. Basketball Diaries
182. Cacoon
321. Dumb and Dumber
404. Dumb and Dumberer
483. Desperate Measures
760. Equilibrium

I just want the titles alphabetized, not the number portion, like so.

Thanks for your imput though.
QUOTE Thanks
maccccman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
OMG, I just tried delicious library, its GREAT. I type in a dvd name, it gives me a list of possibilities, I click one, it adds the art, all the info, and has a small thumbnail. I like this, I have like 200 dvd's, it will categorize by name in list view, which can transfer to case view, it is so good, even list view shows the dvd thumbnail, I'll post a screenshot of a few dvd's I'll add as an example in both shelf and list views.
list view:

dvd view:

Although this is a cool program, I think I am looking for something different. Refer to my response to Kokapelli. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccccman
The thing is, these titles are already numbered 1-764. I just need a program I can paste these titles into and it will alphabetize the titles with out disrupting the numbers that lie before the titles. That is how I find where they are in the DVD books I have.

1. A step beyond
32. Basketball Diaries
182. Cacoon
321. Dumb and Dumber
404. Dumb and Dumberer
483. Desperate Measures
760. Equilibrium

I just want the titles alphabetized, not the number portion, like so.

Thanks for your imput though.
Should be able to do it in a line or two of PERL, but what you are asking for is not really something there will be something written for already. If no one has a solution by tonight I will write something for you. Might be in Java instead of PERL though. I can't remember if PERL comes with OS X and I am better with Java in any case.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

OK it is not pretty by any means, but I went for speed (of writing) rather than cleanliness or efficiency.

1) backup your original (just in case)
2) unzip the archize somewhere in your home folder
3) navigate to the folder in terminal
4) run the command "java MovieSort <path to original text> <path to new file>"

When it says "Done." it is done.

If you want to test run "java MovieSort ./moviess.txt out.txt". I included the test file as a basic comparison.

This assumes the list is plain text with a carriage return at the end of the last line and does a case insensitive sort. There should not be spaces before the numbers on the line. That's about it. Source is included but I would not use it as an example of anything other than a rush job.

EDIT: General Disclaimer this code is provided on an as is basis with no warranty express or implied. Use at your own risk. blah, blah, blah.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (3.3 KB, 2 views)
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

wow!!!

you've been waiting about 9 months before asking for this again?

what happened in all that time?

plus, as you'll see in the linked thread, Kokopelli was right about the spreadsheet...

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yep like you say eric... WOW indeed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« One for all!? or many for many? | your dock »