New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

No antivirus is nothing more than fanboy idealism

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanman2004 View Post
I'm sure from Mr. Kaspersky's point of view, it's obviously a ploy to sell more of 'his' product, but I wanted to touch on the idea that Macs are behind in Anti-virus protection, hence my motive behind displaying the article link.
It's an interesting article. Thanks for linking it! Knowledge is power!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

There's another thread here where a user seemed to be having a problem with Safari being hijacked by adware. I ran across something another member here posted with links to an adware removal tool, so I ended up suggesting that. It appears to have resolved that person's problem. The thread for everyone's reading pleasure:
PopUp Misery. Please help

An article on Safe Mac:
The Safe Mac Mac adware menace continues

And Safe Mac's Adware Removal Tool:
The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide

So... *ahem*... what was that I was saying about XProtect not being infallible? *toots horn*

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 07-17-2014 at 10:17 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
Funny how he makes this claim, yet fails to actually explain WHY he thinks it.
While I join you in thinking he's being a bit sensationalist (and likely trying to serve his own interests), I think he's right in suggesting that Apple is behind in being mentally prepared for such a problem. The only advantage MS has in this area is that they're used to dealing with malware, Apple isn't. The lethargic response to the FlashBack problem and the destructive Java exploit of a few years back are perfect examples of this. Thankfully, Apple seems to be more proactive as of late (inclusion of XProtect and the removal of the "virus free" tagline from their website are starts).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pitbull60077

pitbull60077 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyepod View Post
This has been an interesting read as I'm running Sophos because of Flashback and am now seriously thinking I've been wasting resources in doing so. Makes me wonder about Chrome because of MacInWinn's statement about sites reporting back to Google are you opening a door that wouldn't be if using Safari?
This is one of the reasons I have really come to enjoy my mac's, Microsoft internet explorer just sucks too badly to even use it...even in windows 7 ultimate, that I had to resort to Google Chrome, I really am not a fan of anything Google with some of their practices, one of the reasons I cannot wait to get rid of my android phone and get the iPhone 6 plus. Safari serves my purposes perfect and it is so nice not to have to use google's browser just to access the internet reliabily. still use google as a search engine since i have not found one i like better yet but as soon as i do i will quit using google for that too.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull60077 View Post
still use google as a search engine since i have not found one i like better yet but as soon as i do i will quit using google for that too.

Have a look at DuckDuckGo, she ain't pretty but damn it's fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Windows 10"? | How YouTubers get paid? »