New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

No antivirus is nothing more than fanboy idealism

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I actually just ran ClamXav (first time in a couple months) and it gave me 2 hits on Windows software that I run in Wineskin: WinRAR and Popcorn Audio Converter. I'm quite certain those are false positives since I got the installers direct from the developer websites. I even downloaded the most recent version of WinRAR and Clam still says the installer is a virus. This is really aggravating, even though false positives are nothing new, because you just don't KNOW when to trust the results of a scan.
So when are you running your next course ??

As to fasle positives, this is what really annoys me, and think if this happens all the time to people not in the know, how many times, a App like WinRAR would get trashed because of this.

I feel sorry for those Devs that loose out because of it.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
Actually, you don't really "Code for a Mac" or any other OS. Major viruses come from major production groups, rather than some young kid with social problems, as in the past. The writer(s) is an expert in C, C++ or one of the other languages that can intersect with other code and is also a whiz at reading raw code and hex streams. It is no different than a group trying to write a device driver for an closed device, except for the criminal part.

And the actual testing, nowadays, would be done on a VM version of the target OS. Who would want to actually load windows over and over every time a test was run? Then, if the virus was feasible, it would be run "for real" on a real target.

The need for a particular machine with a particular OS is trivial. A malware group could order a dozen Macs if they needed. Or two hundred. That is obvious from the reports about the few malware groups that have been arrested, or just found out about.

If a hole had been discovered to allow a drive by virus on a Mac had been found, we would have that virus today. Therefore, no holes have been found. Note, that this does not say that a hole doesn't exist - just that, if it does, then it is unknown so far.

Unfortunately, the laws about turning malware loose on the Internet have punishment mandates about equivalent to "I'm going to tell your Mother on you."
But those sorts of people aren't "Mac haters". They are cold, rational, "business people" of a kind. Note that I don't believe Macs are just as easy to compromise as Windows is, just that what I mentioned may play a small role in the dearth of Mac malware. Still, your post is one outstanding explanation of what goes on in that "business".

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
"A saint is one who has been recognized for having an exceptional degree of holiness." I'm not sure you need to look further than I!
Saint | Define Saint at Dictionary.com

The fourth definition is the one used in the New Testament, as when the apostle Paul wrote to "the saints at Ephesus", etc.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
The fourth definition is the one used in the New Testament, as when the apostle Paul wrote to "the saints at Ephesus", etc.
"a designation applied by the members to themselves" - I like this. Problem solved.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
"a designation applied by the members to themselves" - I like this. Problem solved.
Does that mean I can call myself Pope Brent Paul ??

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Does that mean I can call myself Pope Brent Paul ??
Well if Dre can call himself a doctor, then sure, why not?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

And to think.... this thread started out as a discussion about anti-viruses now we have entered into Saints and Popes! We digress... ;-)

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
Well if Dre can call himself a doctor, then sure, why not?
Ill take that as a yes then !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclev View Post
And to think.... this thread started out as a discussion about anti-viruses now we have entered into Saints and Popes! We digress... ;-)

Lisa
Shows the OP and Thread topic might have reached its peak

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclev View Post
As internet forums go…Mac-Forums is way way way better than most! With many internet forums...the OP doesn't even get their question answered…before the "fun or flaming" begins!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
As internet forums go…Mac-Forums is way way way better than most! With many internet forums...the OP doesn't even get their question answered…before the "fun or flaming" begins!

- Nick
i can help with that. Everyone here is terrible. Does that work?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i can help with that. Everyone here is terrible. Does that work?
Other than the one member that's a Saint!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
urbanman2004

urbanman2004 is on a distinguished road

Here's a good read:
Kaspersky: Apple is 10 Years Behind Microsoft on Security - The Mac Observer
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Not saying Mr. Kaspersky is right or wrong…one things for sure…he's not an unbiased observer:

Quote from the article:

"Mr. Kaspersky heads Kaspersky Lab, a security firm that provides antivirus software for both Windows and Mac."

I'm sure Mr. Kaspersky's company would LOVE to sell more AV products to Mac Users.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanman2004 View Post
Funny how he makes this claim, yet fails to actually explain WHY he thinks it.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
urbanman2004

urbanman2004 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Not saying Mr. Kaspersky is right or wrong…one things for sure…he's not an unbiased observer:

Quote from the article:

"Mr. Kaspersky heads Kaspersky Lab, a security firm that provides antivirus software for both Windows and Mac."

I'm sure Mr. Kaspersky's company would LOVE to sell more AV products to Mac Users.

- Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
Funny how he makes this claim, yet fails to actually explain WHY he thinks it.
I'm sure from Mr. Kaspersky's point of view, it's obviously a ploy to sell more of 'his' product, but I wanted to touch on the idea that Macs are behind in Anti-virus protection, hence my motive behind displaying the article link.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Full Circle | hello »