New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

No antivirus is nothing more than fanboy idealism

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Codeseven

Codeseven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
The problem with Mac haters writing malware to target Macs as a way to make a demonstration of some sort is that they would have to actually buy a Mac, then learn how to code for it. Such a person would have to have serious anger issues to put out that much effort.
Some of the, I suspect, PSYCHO fanatics that I saw malicious comments from I'd bet would go to any lengths to be the first to proclaim 'I told you so', if it could be done.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzard View Post
However, almost everyone I email uses a Windows system, and my Intego VirusBarrier has caught several Windows viruses that otherwise I might have inadvertently forwarded on to some hapless Windows user -- which would be embarrassing, and might even time consuming for me since I'm the tech support for family.
Im sorry, and people might think bad of me, which I really don't care, but if the Windows recipient isn't in the mindset of having their own AV running to grab such things, thats their problem.
Im not one for babying and looking out for Virus's for other people, if they don't have the audacity to do it themselves. If they receive one from me (even though I rarely pass on the cat jokes or other attachments unless it comes from me) and they don't have AV running on their Windows box, so be it. Bad luck chum. You should be looking after yourself, and shouldn't be of the mindset, that, that someone scanned it for me !!! Big enough to surf the www, your big enough to look after yourself when it comes to viri (for the latinist's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Just a note - I'm not trying to antagonize people nor am I trying to argue against everyone here. I'm just playing devil's advocate (because it's fun). I respect each person's opinion and anything I say here is in good spirits (I say this in the off chance that people think I'm angry).
Hahahaha Angry ? You ? Never !!!

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Hahahaha Angry ? You ? Never !!!
I'm a saint!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I'm a saint!
Hmmm…I think that I'm going to have to reacquaint myself with the definition of "saint"!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

"A saint is one who has been recognized for having an exceptional degree of holiness." I'm not sure you need to look further than I!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"A saint is one who has been recognized for having an exceptional degree of holiness." I'm not sure you need to look further than I!
I'll have to compare/contrast the definition of "saint" that I'm familiar with…and the personality of the Vansmith that know!lol

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
I'm a saint!
And I'm an angel. Who holds seminars on anger management. *cough cough*

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Vansmith = Saint
lifeisabeach = Angel

Now this is a situation I'm comfortable with!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
And I'm an angel. Who holds seminars on anger management. *cough cough*
So it's you who leads those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Vansmith = Saint
lifeisabeach = Angel

Now this is a situation I'm comfortable with!

- Nick
Great, glad that's settled.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
zyepod

zyepod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 500GB HDD OSX 10.9.3

This has been an interesting read as I'm running Sophos because of Flashback and am now seriously thinking I've been wasting resources in doing so. Makes me wonder about Chrome because of MacInWinn's statement about sites reporting back to Google are you opening a door that wouldn't be if using Safari?

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyepod View Post
Makes me wonder about Chrome because of MacInWinn's statement about sites reporting back to Google are you opening a door that wouldn't be if using Safari?
I think he's pointing to their web products and not Chrome itself, the former of which very likely do track not you specifically but your machine. All Chrome does is generate a random non-identifiable token to track installs. You'll see silly suggestions that it tracks what you browse but those suggestions are all rooted in tin-foil theories that fail to see that the "tracking" Google does with your search is only done through predictive searching which every browser does. In fact, the biggest story about this was one put out by Microsoft saying that IE didn't track like Chrome does because it didn't track your search results. What they failed to tell people was that they disabled predictive searching in IE and enabled it in Chrome.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyepod View Post
This has been an interesting read as I'm running Sophos because of Flashback and am now seriously thinking I've been wasting resources in doing so.
I believe that it's reasonable to keep AV software installed to run periodically as a "second opinion". Apple provides a good line of defense with the built-in XProtect, but it's not infallible. Actively scanning for threats is probably overkill... just run it once in a while to scan the drive.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I believe that it's reasonable to keep AV software installed to run periodically as a "second opinion". Apple provides a good line of defense with the built-in XProtect, but it's not infallible. Actively scanning for threats is probably overkill... just run it once in a while to scan the drive.
I know that I've been pretty "anti-AV software" in this thread. But this is probably a situation/logic I personally would be comfortable with. Installing an AV app for periodic scanning (2nd opinion)…but not having it active 100% of the time.

If we REALLY had virus's to be concerned about…then a 100% of the time AV scanner would be more appropriate.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I know that I've been pretty "anti-AV software" in this thread. But this is probably a situation/logic I personally would be comfortable with. Installing an AV app for periodic scanning (2nd opinion)…but not having it active 100% of the time.

If we REALLY had virus's to be concerned about…then a 100% of the time AV scanner would be more appropriate.
I actually just ran ClamXav (first time in a couple months) and it gave me 2 hits on Windows software that I run in Wineskin: WinRAR and Popcorn Audio Converter. I'm quite certain those are false positives since I got the installers direct from the developer websites. I even downloaded the most recent version of WinRAR and Clam still says the installer is a virus. This is really aggravating, even though false positives are nothing new, because you just don't KNOW when to trust the results of a scan.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Quote:
The problem with Mac haters writing malware to target Macs as a way to make a demonstration of some sort is that they would have to actually buy a Mac, then learn how to code for it. Such a person would have to have serious anger issues to put out that much effort.
Actually, you don't really "Code for a Mac" or any other OS. Major viruses come from major production groups, rather than some young kid with social problems, as in the past. The writer(s) is an expert in C, C++ or one of the other languages that can intersect with other code and is also a whiz at reading raw code and hex streams. It is no different than a group trying to write a device driver for an closed device, except for the criminal part.

And the actual testing, nowadays, would be done on a VM version of the target OS. Who would want to actually load windows over and over every time a test was run? Then, if the virus was feasible, it would be run "for real" on a real target.

The need for a particular machine with a particular OS is trivial. A malware group could order a dozen Macs if they needed. Or two hundred. That is obvious from the reports about the few malware groups that have been arrested, or just found out about.

If a hole had been discovered to allow a drive by virus on a Mac had been found, we would have that virus today. Therefore, no holes have been found. Note, that this does not say that a hole doesn't exist - just that, if it does, then it is unknown so far.

Unfortunately, the laws about turning malware loose on the Internet have punishment mandates about equivalent to "I'm going to tell your Mother on you."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Excel: Finding Certain Values and Adding them | Belkin Bluetooth Number Pad: Delete Button doesn't work »