New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

The power of Siri and a Toddler

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I sac a video about this on the Fox news site a day or two ago thought you guys might enjoy the story/

Siri may have helped this 2-year-old girl save her mother's life | Cult of Mac

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I find it interesting that the child used Siri to dial 911, mainly because I tried to do it several months ago when we had an emergency here, and Siri apologized for not being able to do that. After 3 tries, I had to dial it manually. I was very very very mad about that!

You can try it with 611 and 411... Siri still can't do it. I'm pretty sure that entire story is BS, but I'm not going to re-try 911 to be sure.

EDIT: here's a story from 2012 confirming Siri doesn't dial 911.
Apple’s iPhone’s Siri Does Not Call 911 | WNEP.com
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I wondered about it too. Seems like you would have heard about more of these cases. I saw a video clip of the interview with mon on the Fox news site a few days ago. If it were obviously fake you would think one of the other news outlets would have called them on it by now. They're not exactly favore by most other media outlets.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I wondered about it too. Seems like you would have heard about more of these cases. I saw a video clip of the interview with mon on the Fox news site a few days ago. If it were obviously fake you would think one of the other news outlets would have called them on it by now. They're not exactly favore by most other media outlets.
I did just read that you can create a contact to dial 911. Hmmm... let me try that with 611.

Nope... doesn't work. That article really needs to add some clarity as to how this was accomplished.

EDIT: I followed this back to the source article, and it says the girl activated Siri and said "Call Emergency" repeatedly until it went through.
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3484579.shtml?cat=127
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I've seen lots of posts saying it can't be done. I did see ones that says you have to tell it to Call Emergency Services.

I am wondering if some of the confusion has to do with when the various articles were written as Siri has evolved over time.

Edit: Even if it works there will probably be some areas where the 911 system can't pull up accurate enough location data to be helpful without you giving them more info.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I have an inquiry. | New but Old »