New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Sunglasses

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

OK, it's a bit juvenile. But I finally got LASIK surgery, and for the first time in 35 years I don't have to wear prescription sunglasses. Anyhow, I drive a Jeep Wrangler and have a pair of cheapos in there since people like to steal stuff when the top is off. However, I treated myself to a nice pair of Oakleys since they were "free" with the surgery. Not my normal style for sure (more of a Wayfarer type guy here), but what the heck. What sunglasses do you Mac-Forumites like?

Oakley Half Jack 2.0 XL

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
OK, it's a bit juvenile. But I finally got LASIK surgery, and for the first time in 35 years I don't have to wear prescription sunglasses.
Nothing juvenile about LASIK. Congrats on doing it!

How long has to been since the surgery…and how is the recovery going?

My wife has been thinking about LASIK for years. Maybe one of these days.

Quote:
However, I treated myself to a nice pair of Oakleys since they were "free" with the surgery.
If the sunglasses were free…is that really treating yourself?? I'm sure you paid for them. Pretty sure their cost got "squeezed" into the LASIK charges somehow!

Quote:
What sunglasses do you Mac-Forumites like?
I'm not too picky...I like free!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Im the sort of person that can't go outside without sunnies on my head. If I do, I squint and before I know it, I have a migraine coming on.
As to what I have, I have a spare pair of cheap's in both cars, incase I loose a pair when I'm out and about, because I wouldn't be able to get home.

When I was driving for a living, I had a pair of Rayban Aviators for driving, because in the day, they held out the sun glare and night time, I could wear them as well if needed for a brighter vision . . . . And driving 6000 Kms a week, anything to make it easier on the eyes.
At home I have a pair of Rayban Wayfarers a pair of Oakley Pit Bulls. . . . .

I have a wide head, so there are only certain frame styles that suit head and don't look too small on my noggin.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!

Last edited by TattooedMac; 06-26-2014 at 10:19 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

Yikes!!! "... And driving 6000 Kms a week..."

No wonder your stat says "Waiting for a mate " - they can't catch up to you and you need to stay put for a bit!! Good shades or not. ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
Yikes!!! "... And driving 6000 Kms a week..."
The life of a Long Haul Truckie with 62.6T under my seat avg. 30hrs sleep a week not something I would recommend

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

Nothing as funky as Oakley - these are for everyday use:

and I also have a pair of very fancy, high spec, varifocals for driving, so the speedo and satnav are as clear as the road ahead, and no glare from either sun or street / car lights, day or night ... great stuff, though they don't look anything special ... I keep them in the car, but not in plain sight

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Also can't go out without sunglasses - can't keep my sunglasses in the car or I might not find the car...

Have been wearing Ray-Ban Aviators for nigh on to 40 years I guess.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I can't bear to spend big money on sunglasses as I've broken so many pairs. I bought these right before we went to Hawaii and I love them. Comfortable, fit well and don't slide off (even in a Mustang convertible ).

They're made by Hobie - the model is called "Cabo". I think I paid like $50 on Amazon. Highly recommended.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I wear prescription sunglasses, as I can't find my glasses (really) without my glasses.

Been thinking about LASIK for years, only one thing holding me back is near vision. Been wearing bifocals for 15 years, but if I really need to do close work I can pop off my glasses (I'm nearsighted) and all is good.
I'm afraid I'll lose that ability it I have LASIK done and have to rely on what bifocals will give me for close up stuff.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Ray-Ban 's for as long as I can remember.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I got my LASIK done about 14 or so years ago and freaked out by purchasing a ton of cheap sunglasses that all either broke or where misplaced..

I got my Maui Jim Ho'okipa about 5 years ago and they've lasted quite nicely. They are so ridiculously light that I forget I have them on sometimes and the glare protection is amazing..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I bought these right before we went to Hawaii and I love them. Comfortable, fit well and don't slide off (even in a Mustang convertible ).
The only way to vacation in Hawaii!!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
How long has to been since the surgery…and how is the recovery going?

My wife has been thinking about LASIK for years. Maybe one of these days.

If the sunglasses were free…is that really treating yourself?? I'm sure you paid for them. Pretty sure their cost got "squeezed" into the LASIK charges somehow!

I'm not too picky...I like free!

- Nick
The surgery was a breeze. It took about 2 hours from walking in the door to walking out on the day of the surgery. Nothing was painful or anything like that. I was a bit disconcerting when they pressed down on my eyes with the machine. You can't see for a minute or so because there is so much pressure there. Anyhow, I was seeing better (distance) immediately. Light sensitive for a few hours and dry eyes for about 3 weeks. And yes, I put quotes around "free" as I'm sure they were factored into the cost of the surgery. I need reading glasses now for close in stuff - need to move the iPhone about 2 feet out to see small text in a web browser. Still, I''d do it again in a heartbeat. Best money I've spent in a long time.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The surgery was a breeze. It took about 2 hours from walking in the door to walking out on the day of the surgery. Nothing was painful or anything like that. I was a bit disconcerting when they pressed down on my eyes with the machine. You can't see for a minute or so because there is so much pressure there. Anyhow, I was seeing better (distance) immediately. Light sensitive for a few hours and dry eyes for about 3 weeks.
What about the "sparkly's" (small little flashes/sparkles of light)…and driving at night (oncoming headlights). I've heard these are two things that can occur shortly after the LASIK…but get better with time.

What causes the dry eyes?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.4, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 7, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

back in my bike racing days a pair of cool shades was a vital piece of kit

i started out with these: oakley, briko, Rudy-Project: Briko Stinger in an attempt to emulate my hero Mario Cipollini (yes I also rode a Cannondale frame!)

moved onto a pair of oakley m frames with blue iridium lenses (tres chic and coincided with my best couple of years of form - pic from a long distance time trial from 1999!!)

wore these until i retired from the sport - and below is a gratuitous picture of the bike that i last raced on!!

nowadays I wear a pair of Oakley straight jackets but no longer ride unfortunately
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc0084ace5.jpg (478.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0130.jpg (584.5 KB, 93 views)

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Apple Clickbait Generator | Apple and Java »