New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I have an inquiry.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CodyTechery

CodyTechery is on a distinguished road

I have never had an iDevice, or for that matter, any phone or tablet in my life. I currently use an HP laptop, but I recently made a new friend, and his family is completely locked into the Apple ecosystem. He let me use their iPad mini and I liked the experience; simple and to the point, but felt powerful and future-proof regardless.

Anyway, I've asked my father for one, telling him the price of a charger, case, and the iPad mini itself. He approved, but he said I had a choice; either the iPad mini, or the laptop. I've used the same laptop for years, so it's hard to think about letting it go, but at the same time, I really want to have an iPad. I'd like to know from anyone who has had both a laptop and iPad and used them both decently, the simple question of which is better in general (not for certain purposes, but simply in general). Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyTechery View Post
I currently use an HP laptop...

...but he said I had a choice; either the iPad mini, or the laptop.
Are we talking the HP laptop you are currently using? Why is your dad saying either the HP laptop or the iPad mini? It's not like he has to purchase both (the HP laptop I'm assuming is already paid for).

Quote:
...the simple question of which is better in general (not for certain purposes, but simply in general).
"Better in general"...is really not a specific question. You kind of have to define what "General" is to you. What is general to you...may not be general to the rest of us.

I think that the question you're wanting to ask is...is an iPad mini a good replacement for a laptop. And the answer is no...or at least not yet.

I think that if all a person did was e-mail, Facebook, internet browsing, internet videos, music...then an iPad or iPad mini would get the job done.

But with an iPad mini...you still don't have:

- great speakers
- large display
- full size keyboard

Of course the battery life & portability of the iPad mini is great.

But again I ask...why can't you have both the HP laptop & the iPad mini? It's not like you're asking dad to buy both at the same time.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Nick's right. The iPad will work just fine in conjunction with the HP laptop assuming the OS is anywhere close to recent. iTunes for Windows System requirements

I'm sure Apple would love it if you paired a new Mac with the iPad but that's not necessary,

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Put it this way, with a Bluetooth Keyboard, I can do everything I can do on my iPad Mini, that I can on my MBP (Notebook)
Given I have had to invest in some great Apps from the iTunes store, but I can take and edit movies, photo's, I can write and manage Web Sites from my iPad Mini, I can use Pages or Word for Documents, I use (ATM) Dropbox for Cloud Storage as well as iCloud for extra Storage, for all my Doc's, movies and photo's.

I ca even write iDevice Apps on my iPad Mini, albeit I need a computer for the submitting and testing. You can use a Terminal App to reach Servers and the outside world.

So to say is it better ?? Well its workable and can be done. When iOS 8 comes out, and when the Developers get into the Apps, you will have a lot more control over your working on the iPad Mini, but to be honest, having a Notebook, be it Apple or HP would be beneficial, for complete backups of your device, as well as transferring of Documents over WiFi (a lot of Apps can easily allow WiFi transfer).

If it was me, I would be staying with the Notebook, but why if you already have the Laptop, do you have to give it up ?

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
CodyTechery

My dad is under the assumption that because the iPad mini is a small computer (and he's technically correct), it'd be pointless to let me have both of them at once, because in my own words, an iPad mini is at least as powerful, if not more, than the laptop. That is why I am unable to have both. I believe that the iPad mini is a better choice, with one reason being that not only my laptop, but most other HP Pavilions are notorious for problems later in their lifespan. To me, general means at least some of the following things:
  • Browsing the web with HTML5 capabilities
  • Watching videos at up to 720p quality
  • Contacting friends using Skype or another VOIP service
  • Using Google Voice to call and text numbers
  • Playing lightweight games, with the most advanced being on the level of Minecraft: Pocket Edition
  • Editing, in code view and with a preview, web pages
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Well, in general mind you, an iPad is a largely content consumer device and a laptop is a content creator and consumer device. Yes, both of them can do both things. If you don't create stuff of some sort all that often, perhaps the tablet is best. If you consume things and create stuff often the laptop may be a better choice. I have and Air and a Mini and use the Air more frequently - that's just me though. YMMV Good luck!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
To me, general means at least some of the following things:
  • Playing lightweight games, with the most advanced being on the level of Minecraft: Pocket Edition
Take the iPad Mini then, and get at least a 64GB model. I have the 64GB and I did find I was running out of room, but I do a clean of Apps now every couple of months (if I haven't opened it in 4-6 weeks its gone) and rid the movies I have watched (but now I have Air Video HD and the server on my MBP and I can watch the 300 movies and 500+ TV shows in my iTunes Library if I'm on my Local Network).

As to backing up, you can to iCloud, but wait until iOS 8 is released, and upgrade to that, THEN take the opportunity to Upgrade the iCloud Storage then to whatever you want. I think from memory Apple will charge $2/mth for 200GB of Cloud storage, and store everything in the cloud and download when needed.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...but most other HP Pavilions are notorious for problems later in their lifespan.
One thing you didn't mention in your original post was...how old this HP Pavilion laptop is (they've been out for a while).

If it's a older model (more than 5 years)...hopefully not really old (more than 5+ years). Then obviously the brand new iPad mini will have some advantages.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
CodyTechery

It has been used mostly actively for a period of 3 years, but it has experienced problems such as random overheating, sound sometimes not functioning at all through headphones or speakers, flashing glitchy lines on the screen after coming back from sleep mode, et cetera. Yes, it is a workaround to use an iPad mini and a keyboard case instead of a laptop, but it will end up having a longer lifetime and more value overall. To correspond with the fact that the older model iPad mini without Retina display is only being produced in 16GB storage now, and that reviews say that 16GB storage is nowhere near enough, I need to get a refurbished model, because that is the only way of getting a 32GB iPad mini without a Retina display.

Last edited by CodyTechery; 06-21-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
an iPad mini is at least as powerful, if not more, than the laptop.
At most, it's as capable as a notebook for some things (watching videos for example) and severely less capable with regards to other things (editing code for example). I think putting the two on the same level fails to see that they are two very different devices. Indeed, a tablet is a lot more like a phone than it is a computer. In iOS for example, you have no access to the filesystem which means that unless you have access to a computer, how you put files on and off the device is going to be limited to what an app (and ultimately Apple given that they control how apps access the filesystem) allows. A computer, on the other hand, will let you do what you please with the filesystem and as trivial as this difference sounds, you'll start to notice it once you don't have access to it.

Quote:
To me, general means at least some of the following things:
All of this can be done just as well with something like a Nexus 7 which costs nearly half the price ($230 for the N7, $420 for the iPad Mini). Unless you are absolutely determined to get a Mini, I'd suggest that the N7 is a much better value for what you want. At the end of the day though, if cost isn't a concern (since you aren't paying for it), a notebook is a much better choice if you can only have one. In fact, it's not even close.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CodyTechery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
At most, it's as capable as a notebook for some things (watching videos for example) and severely less capable with regards to other things (editing code for example). I think putting the two on the same level fails to see that they are two very different devices. Indeed, a tablet is a lot more like a phone than it is a computer. In iOS for example, you have no access to the filesystem which means that unless you have access to a computer, how you put files on and off the device is going to be limited to what an app (and ultimately Apple given that they control how apps access the filesystem) allows. A computer, on the other hand, will let you do what you please with the filesystem and as trivial as this difference sounds, you'll start to notice it once you don't have access to it.

All of this can be done just as well with something like a Nexus 7 which costs nearly half the price ($230 for the N7, $420 for the iPad Mini). Unless you are absolutely determined to get a Mini, I'd suggest that the N7 is a much better value for what you want. At the end of the day though, if cost isn't a concern (since you aren't paying for it), a notebook is a much better choice if you can only have one. In fact, it's not even close.
I am aware of other competitors on the market, and I have experienced a Nexus 7 before. When I say this, I'm not saying I prefer more eye-candy than power. I definitely prefer more power and control, but seeing as I basically got used to iOS in a day, whereas I had constantly asked people what I was doing on Android. But I feel that iOS is more polished. I'm not a diehard Apple, Google, or Microsoft fan. I feel they are all good for different things. But iOS seems like the best solution for my needs.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

From what I'm reading/"hearing"…it sounds to me that you've pretty much got yourself sold on the iPad mini.

Just get it!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

That's great. Device preference is nothing more than that - preference.

My only suggestion at this point would be to consider a regular iPad especially if this is going to be a notebook replacement.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CodyTechery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That's great. Device preference is nothing more than that - preference.

My only suggestion at this point would be to consider a regular iPad especially if this is going to be a notebook replacement.
My budget is a bit to low to afford the $729 32GB and cellular iPad Air. Not to mention I'd still need a case, a charger adapter, and to count taxes. It'd be too much to handle. Also, kudos to everyone for the help. I appreciate it. I'll consider returning the iPad mini and getting a Nexus 7 in the future, if I ever need more expansion, which I inevitably will, but not anytime soon. I'll get the iPad mini with a Logitech Keyboard Cover for now.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
My budget is a bit to low to afford the $729 32GB and cellular iPad Air.
You never mentioned needing cellular capability. Your HP laptop I'm guessing doesn't have cellular ability (since the HP laptop and the iPad mini are the choices). Cellular ability adds a lot to the cost of an iPad.

As far as a full-sized iPad. You could also consider used (eBay, Craig's List, or an online seller of previously owned iPad's)...or a refurbished unit from the Apple Store.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How best to accomplish this cloud problem? | The power of Siri and a Toddler »