Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CodyTechery View Post
    It has been used mostly actively for a period of 3 years, but it has experienced problems such as random overheating, sound sometimes not functioning at all through headphones or speakers, flashing glitchy lines on the screen after coming back from sleep mode, et cetera. Yes, it is a workaround to use an iPad mini and a keyboard case instead of a laptop, but it will end up having a longer lifetime and more value overall. To correspond with the fact that the older model iPad mini without Retina display is only being produced in 16GB storage now, and that reviews say that 16GB storage is nowhere near enough, I need to get a refurbished model, because that is the only way of getting a 32GB iPad mini without a Retina display.
    Whoa, wait.... you are looking at a first gen iPad mini? Quite frankly, those were underpowered when released, having the same internals as the iPad 2, which was released over 1 1/2 years earlier. They are a worse value today, refurbished or not. I believe it is supposed to run iOS 8, but not likely past that, and it may not even run that very smoothly. If you could get that for under a couple hundred (US $), then ok. If not, don't waste your time or money.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    My budget is a bit to low to afford the $729 32GB and cellular iPad Air.
    Why do you need cellular? Unless you don't have semi-regular access to a WiFi signal, a cellular option is a needless expense.

I'll consider returning the iPad mini and getting a Nexus 7 in the future, if I ever need more expansion, which I inevitably will, but not anytime soon.
    Why? I'm not trying to sound critical but this seems like a needless expense especially since both devices have different options for storage already.

To correspond with the fact that the older model iPad mini without Retina display is only being produced in 16GB storage now, and that reviews say that 16GB storage is nowhere near enough, I need to get a refurbished model, because that is the only way of getting a 32GB iPad mini without a Retina display.
    Reviews can't possibly say how much storage you'll need. However, if you do need at least 32GB of storage, you're really better off not getting a refurb device. The original iPad Mini, as lifeisabeach noted, has the same internals as an iPad 2 which Apple not only released three years ago but has since discontinued. If you go refurb, you're buying three year old hardware out of the gate and mobile devices don't have nearly the same security (in terms of time) that a notebook does. I'm guessing, like lifeisabeach is, that the iPad mini won't make it past iOS 8 and if it does, I imagine that the experience will be similar to that of iOS 7 on an iPhone 4 (which is not good).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.11.3,4x6TB HD,4x6TB ext.HD,128GB Mem,ATI HD5870,Dual 32" monitors
    My two cents worth please!!! My wife works for a major airline and we fly free, we use to lug around a 17" HP laptop so we could check on our flights, we bought the iPad Air to replace the laptop for traveling and what a wonderful change in weight and size. Just sayin'
    Mac Pro 5.1,Dual 2.4GHz Xeon,10.11.3,4x6TB WDRedProHD,4x6TBExt.WDHD,USB3.0,128GB Memory,HD5870,Logitech Z-906 5.1THX Certified500/1000watt Dolby Sound System,ASUS Xonar U7 USB sound card connecting with Fiber Optic SPDIF,1st OpticalBay SuperDrive,2ndBay Pioneer BD-RW-208 BDK, ATI HD5870, Dual 32" HDTV as monitors

Specs:
    MBP 15" Late 2011 / 2.5 GHz / 8 GB DDR / Radeon 1024 MB
    It has been used mostly actively for a period of 3 years, but it has experienced problems such as random overheating, sound sometimes not functioning at all through headphones or speakers, flashing glitchy lines on the screen after coming back from sleep mode, et cetera. Yes, it is a workaround to use an iPad mini and a keyboard case instead of a laptop, but it will end up having a longer lifetime and more value overall. To correspond with the fact that the older model iPad mini without Retina display is only being produced in 16GB storage now, and that reviews say that 16GB storage is nowhere near enough, I need to get a refurbished model, because that is the only way of getting a 32GB iPad mini without a Retina display.
    May I make a suggestion? Firstly, everyones advice has been great!
    It sounds to me that this has come about because your laptop is on the way out - correct?
    You have to make a choice - laptop or iPad.
    Since your laptop is now under scrutiny, why not hit the middle ground?
    Ask to have your laptop replaced with a MBP 13" or MB 13". A small powerful computer that will fulfil all your requirements and more, the bonus is that you'll be working with the software you now like and the dodgy laptop is replaced
    One more thing - wait until later in the year, to make your purchase, when all the new Apple stuff hits the shops. There maybe new software, devices and or there could be good deals on superseded stock (unlikely but you never know?)
    Remember - it saves you forgetting.

Specs:
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Are we talking the HP laptop you are currently using? Why is your dad saying either the HP laptop or the iPad mini? It's not like he has to purchase both (the HP laptop I'm assuming is already paid for).

But again I ask...why can't you have both the HP laptop & the iPad mini? It's not like you're asking dad to buy both at the same time.

- Nick
    I agree with Nick, however you can get a cheap $20 Blue Tooth Keyboard and mouse.. Though not sure if the mouse will work.. Never tried..

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

I agree with Blazbo. A good compromise may be an older MB. I currently have a late 2008 13" MB that I bought in Feb of '09. It came with Leopard installed. Since then, it has been updated to Snow Leopard, then Lion, and now Maverick. Still running fast and furious without a hitch. Love my little MB. You might be able to find a used one on the cheap.
    2008 Alum MacBook: 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 750GB, Snow Leopard
    2011 iMac: 27", 2.7Ghz QC, 4GB, 1TB, Mtn Lion

Thread Information