New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I have an inquiry.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyTechery View Post
It has been used mostly actively for a period of 3 years, but it has experienced problems such as random overheating, sound sometimes not functioning at all through headphones or speakers, flashing glitchy lines on the screen after coming back from sleep mode, et cetera. Yes, it is a workaround to use an iPad mini and a keyboard case instead of a laptop, but it will end up having a longer lifetime and more value overall. To correspond with the fact that the older model iPad mini without Retina display is only being produced in 16GB storage now, and that reviews say that 16GB storage is nowhere near enough, I need to get a refurbished model, because that is the only way of getting a 32GB iPad mini without a Retina display.
Whoa, wait.... you are looking at a first gen iPad mini? Quite frankly, those were underpowered when released, having the same internals as the iPad 2, which was released over 1 1/2 years earlier. They are a worse value today, refurbished or not. I believe it is supposed to run iOS 8, but not likely past that, and it may not even run that very smoothly. If you could get that for under a couple hundred (US $), then ok. If not, don't waste your time or money.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
My budget is a bit to low to afford the $729 32GB and cellular iPad Air.
Why do you need cellular? Unless you don't have semi-regular access to a WiFi signal, a cellular option is a needless expense.

Quote:
I'll consider returning the iPad mini and getting a Nexus 7 in the future, if I ever need more expansion, which I inevitably will, but not anytime soon.
Why? I'm not trying to sound critical but this seems like a needless expense especially since both devices have different options for storage already.

Quote:
To correspond with the fact that the older model iPad mini without Retina display is only being produced in 16GB storage now, and that reviews say that 16GB storage is nowhere near enough, I need to get a refurbished model, because that is the only way of getting a 32GB iPad mini without a Retina display.
Reviews can't possibly say how much storage you'll need. However, if you do need at least 32GB of storage, you're really better off not getting a refurb device. The original iPad Mini, as lifeisabeach noted, has the same internals as an iPad 2 which Apple not only released three years ago but has since discontinued. If you go refurb, you're buying three year old hardware out of the gate and mobile devices don't have nearly the same security (in terms of time) that a notebook does. I'm guessing, like lifeisabeach is, that the iPad mini won't make it past iOS 8 and if it does, I imagine that the experience will be similar to that of iOS 7 on an iPhone 4 (which is not good).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

carlhataway is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro, dual2.4GHz, 32GB, 4x4TBHDD, ATIHD5870, SuperDrive, PioneerBDburner, iPhone5S, iPad Air

My two cents worth please!!! My wife works for a major airline and we fly free, we use to lug around a 17" HP laptop so we could check on our flights, we bought the iPad Air to replace the laptop for traveling and what a wonderful change in weight and size. Just sayin'

Carl, Mac Pro 2.4GHz Xeon Processors, 10.9.3, 4x4TB HDD's, 32GB Memory, ATI Radeon HD5870 Video Card, 1st Optical Bay SuperDrive, 2nd Optical Drive Bay Pioneer BDR-208 BDK, Dual 32" 32LK450 LG HDTV for Monitors with HDMI connections and a Viewsonic 27" Monitor
QUOTE Thanks
Blazbo

Blazbo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Late 2011

Quote:
It has been used mostly actively for a period of 3 years, but it has experienced problems such as random overheating, sound sometimes not functioning at all through headphones or speakers, flashing glitchy lines on the screen after coming back from sleep mode, et cetera. Yes, it is a workaround to use an iPad mini and a keyboard case instead of a laptop, but it will end up having a longer lifetime and more value overall. To correspond with the fact that the older model iPad mini without Retina display is only being produced in 16GB storage now, and that reviews say that 16GB storage is nowhere near enough, I need to get a refurbished model, because that is the only way of getting a 32GB iPad mini without a Retina display.
May I make a suggestion? Firstly, everyones advice has been great!
It sounds to me that this has come about because your laptop is on the way out - correct?
You have to make a choice - laptop or iPad.
Since your laptop is now under scrutiny, why not hit the middle ground?
Ask to have your laptop replaced with a MBP 13" or MB 13". A small powerful computer that will fulfil all your requirements and more, the bonus is that you'll be working with the software you now like and the dodgy laptop is replaced
One more thing - wait until later in the year, to make your purchase, when all the new Apple stuff hits the shops. There maybe new software, devices and or there could be good deals on superseded stock (unlikely but you never know?)

Remember - it saves you forgetting.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Are we talking the HP laptop you are currently using? Why is your dad saying either the HP laptop or the iPad mini? It's not like he has to purchase both (the HP laptop I'm assuming is already paid for).

But again I ask...why can't you have both the HP laptop & the iPad mini? It's not like you're asking dad to buy both at the same time.

- Nick
I agree with Nick, however you can get a cheap $20 Blue Tooth Keyboard and mouse.. Though not sure if the mouse will work.. Never tried..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Vipor

Vipor will become famous soon enough

I agree with Blazbo. A good compromise may be an older MB. I currently have a late 2008 13" MB that I bought in Feb of '09. It came with Leopard installed. Since then, it has been updated to Snow Leopard, then Lion, and now Maverick. Still running fast and furious without a hitch. Love my little MB. You might be able to find a used one on the cheap.

2008 Alum MacBook: 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 750GB, Snow Leopard
2011 iMac: 27", 2.7Ghz QC, 4GB, 1TB, Mtn Lion
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How best to accomplish this cloud problem? | The power of Siri and a Toddler »